GT275 threaded front axle, any better options?

/ GT275 threaded front axle, any better options? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
I bought a GT275 off Craigslist. Runs great, paid $1300 for it including the power flow bagger. Cracked hood of course, a standard JD feature. Love the single cylinder Kawasakis, they've always treated me well and have a ton of torque. Dunno how great of a deal I got, but there wasn't much else to compare it to and I really liked the power bagger so I don't have to hook up the Cyclone Rake any more. Though the capacity sucks, it takes about 30 seconds to empty the bins compared to several minutes of unhooking a hose and dumping out the Cyclone Rake bin. I knew the front axle would need some work (turns one direction quite a bit sharper than the other, had quite of bit of "twist" play in it, everything else is tight), figured just bushings, but when I took it apart... what a dumb setup. The front axle has a rod run through as the pivot pin that is threaded on either side, and the bushings themselves are threaded as well, no grease fittings, so this thing basically wears itself out over time like a loose bolt. Rod is welded to the axle housing so unless I ground it out and made my own pivot pin and welded it back on with some kind of DIY bushings, I need to get a whole new axle assembly. Deere parts shows what appears to be two designs, one has a smooth pivot and one a threaded: John Deere Parts Catalog Looks like the smooth pivot axle isn't even available any more. Any ideas on a better setup? If all I can get is a threaded replacement axle and bushings, I'll just keep it like it is for now. I rolled the bushings over so the non-worn areas are on top taking the load now and that took quite a bit of slack out of it. Adjusted the tie rod and it's turning much more even. Maybe good enough for this old mower.

/ GT275 threaded front axle, any better options? #2  
Yeah, those are an interesting set up. On the cheap maybe you can get a couple supports and weld in some Acme. Or refab the set up all together. Used parts on EBay?

/ GT275 threaded front axle, any better options? #3  
I scratch my head over people the collect lawn clippings. Gator Mulcher blades do the same thing but chop the grass up and blow it back in the lawn.

/ GT275 threaded front axle, any better options? #4  
I scratch my head over people the collect lawn clippings. Gator Mulcher blades do the same thing but chop the grass up and blow it back in the lawn.

To each their own.. depends on whatcha like.. but keep scratchin.. :D

/ GT275 threaded front axle, any better options?

The grass I can really care less about. Leaves on the other hand, it's nice getting them up.

/ GT275 threaded front axle, any better options? #6  
I just sold a GT275 in top notch shape except for the hood broken on both sides at the hinges, to my neighbor for 500 bucks. He has been a good neighbor through the years. Turns out it was a godsend for him. He was hurting for cash and needed another mower and didn't know what to do. Looks like his prayers paid off. That GT275 is a fine machine IMO. I bought mine used for $970.00 back in 2007, and have run the piss out of it. I probably put about 500 hours on it. I had to buy one solenoid and a traction belt. That's it. I made out like a bandit even letting it go for 500.