GT2554 hood broke again...

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #11  
My hood broke when I left it open overnight several days to trickle charge the battery. The design is not well done as the plastic the mechanism bolts to is not strong enough to support the weight of the hood. What needs to be there is a metal frame under the hood for the metal hinge to bolt to and support the plastic hood at the top. If mine breaks again I am going to fabricate a 1/8th plate steel skeleton frame to support the hood and bolt that to the hinge. Simple vice to bend the metal and some cutting tools should do the trick.

Last edited:
   / GT2554 hood broke again... #12  
Just FYI,

Cub is getting me a new hood, update kit and decals. No hassel either. All it took was a simple phone call to the dealer and that was it... Should be here next week.

I'm VERY pleased about this as you can probably imagine!
Greetings! I could see that you still have the center plug in the top of your plastic hood. On your new hood, remove the center plug. There is an air vent that this plug covers. Removing this plug will let much more heat out of the engine compartment. These plastic hoods don't do well with excessive heat in the engine area. I also found that by closing the hood gently, keeps the plastic mounts from braking. I also had to replace my hood. Cub Cadet didn't even offer to replace mine. Didn't replace the decals, just too expensive. Another very important thing to do after each cutting. Take the foam pre air filter out and clean it well, using a leaf blower, and clean the air-cooling fan and the whole engine area, this will help the engine as well as the whole engine compartment stay much cooler. Hope all went well with your new hood.

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #13  
Greetings! I could see that you still have the center plug in the top of your plastic hood. On your new hood, remove the center plug. There is an air vent that this plug covers. Removing this plug will let much more heat out of the engine compartment. These plastic hoods don't do well with excessive heat in the engine area. I also found that by closing the hood gently, keeps the plastic mounts from braking. I also had to replace my hood. Cub Cadet didn't even offer to replace mine. Didn't replace the decals, just too expensive. Another very important thing to do after each cutting. Take the foam pre air filter out and clean it well, using a leaf blower, and clean the air-cooling fan and the whole engine area, this will help the engine as well as the whole engine compartment stay much cooler. Hope all went well with your new hood.
After 11 years, it's probably not good anymore.....