GT2554 hood broke again...

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #1  

turbojerk

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 Cub Cadet GT2554
So now that my GT is out of warranty, yesturday the hood broke off at the hinge bracket at two of the mounting points. Its a real mess and is very difficult to open and close now. This being hood #3 do I have any options on getting it replaced under warranty for free? I'm NOT going to pay $300-$400 for a new one since it's CC's shiddy design...

T

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #2  
The replacement hoods should have had a different design. Mine did on a 2544.

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #3  
So now that my GT is out of warranty, yesturday the hood broke off at the hinge bracket at two of the mounting points. Its a real mess and is very difficult to open and close now. This being hood #3 do I have any options on getting it replaced under warranty for free? I'm NOT going to pay $300-$400 for a new one since it's CC's shiddy design...

T

Sorry to hear your problem has returned. Have you considered measuring the stand-offs on the bootom of the hood where the hinge assembly attachs. Then using the stand-offs as pilots drill four holes through the hood then remove the broken parts with a dremel tool. Then fabricate new stand-offs and use four stove bolts to attach the hood to the hinge assembly. The round top of the four bolts should not destroy the aesthetics of the hood that much. I think I would consider this before spending four hundred dollars on another hood that in all likeihood will also break.

/ GT2554 hood broke again...
Sorry to hear your problem has returned. Have you considered measuring the stand-offs on the bootom of the hood where the hinge assembly attachs. Then using the stand-offs as pilots drill four holes through the hood then remove the broken parts with a dremel tool. Then fabricate new stand-offs and use four stove bolts to attach the hood to the hinge assembly. The round top of the four bolts should not destroy the aesthetics of the hood that much. I think I would consider this before spending four hundred dollars on another hood that in all likeihood will also break.

I could certainly fix it but that's not the point.... I fixed one hood problem now its broken in another spot...

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #5  
WOW...your 3rd hood! YIKES!

I always had the idea in the back of my head that if our hood broke I'd just mod it into a conventional forward tilting hood.

pfreiburger did a forward tilting mod here http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=194702 He also did an easier 1st edition mod if you want to search for it.

No way I'd pay 4 hundred for a new hood...its not like we're going to pass on these tractors to our sons like our fathers and grandfathers did.

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #6  
That sucks! Unless you can work out something directly with Cub or a good Cub dealer, your only choice would be to customize it. There's no way I'd pay that much for a new hood, new design or not!

/ GT2554 hood broke again...
Just FYI,

Cub is getting me a new hood, update kit and decals. No hassel either. All it took was a simple phone call to the dealer and that was it... Should be here next week.

I'm VERY pleased about this as you can probably imagine!

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #8  
Hey that's pretty decent they're giving you a new hood.

I know the hoods were a weak link when I got our 2550 so I always babied the hood ...that is I kept a guiding hands on when opening/closing.

Anyways the other day after mowing and before turning off the mower the hood wouldn't open for me. After mowing I ALWAYS idle down a good minute and open the hood before turning off the engine since reading about a backfire that started a tractor on fire.

Not that the tractor backfires but it's such an easy precaution to take to prevent a catastrophe that I'm not taking any chances.

As luck would have it seems my hood is starting to go because it was binding between my forefinger and thumb.

I was fortunate to have this paint stir stick laying close by and was able to open it with very little manipulation. I did some mowing with the stick inserted like you see for ease of lifting the hood and it worked fine.

6132752573_5a9eacf78f.jpg

...as an aside a token look under the hood revealed no easily detectable loose fitting that I could tighten up. I'll most likely just use this crude but effective fix until the hood breaks because...

...that's the way I am :eek: and I never liked the way the hood tilts back anyway.

/ GT2554 hood broke again... #9  
Savageactor7,

My hood did the same thing not long after I started using it. I thought I heard something fall off which I later discovered it was two screws on the hood hinge. I replaced them and it has been good every since. I don't think they were tight from the factory. They are on the small part of the hood hinge beneath the large cross brace. I'll try to get a picture if you need it.
DSC_0163.jpg

The two screws I replaced are the silver phillips heads on the lower part of the hinge. Center of photo.

Last edited:
   / GT2554 hood broke again... #10  
Well that sounds easy enough I look closer for the missing screws later on this morning. Thanks for the heads up mowcub.