GT235 Problem

/ GT235 Problem #1  

buckbros

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere LT180, John Deere GT235, 1950 Case Vac, 2 Gravely L Models
The mower blades on my GT235 will occassionally stop mowing as if I shut the power take off down. If I push the power take button down and pull it back up it will mow ok. Now & then it will even shut the engine off when it does this. It will start right back up & run ok for a while. I'm assuming a short somewhere but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions as where to start?

/ GT235 Problem #3  
The reverse switch at the transaxle I see from time to time that will disengage the clutch. Thinking of something that would shut off the tractor as well could be seat switch related or the modular key switch.

/ GT235 Problem #4  
On that model does the seat switch also cause the engine to stop? I believe yes so first thought is reverse override circuit. Some models of deere this is incorporated in a circuit board.

/ GT235 Problem
What engine do you have in your GT ?
Richard
18 hp Kaw
On that model does the seat switch also cause the engine to stop? I believe yes so first thought is reverse override circuit. Some models of deere this is incorporated in a circuit board.
Yes. The seat switch does kill the engine.
The reverse switch at the transaxle I see from time to time that will disengage the clutch. Thinking of something that would shut off the tractor as well could be seat switch related or the modular key switch.
Would the reverse switch cause the engine to shut off?
I know it is a safety issue but I put a clothes pin under the power take off button so I can backup without stopping the blades.

/ GT235 Problem #6  
No typically the reverse switch just stops the blades from turning by disengaging the clutch. If just deck stopping it would point towards something in the electric clutch circuit. Anyway you can wire in a test lite to the clutch circuit. If clutch stops and lite is off then you know something is interrupting power to the clutch. With key on but engine off have you tried engaging the deck and wiggling the wires to see if clutch drops out. You should hear a clunk when it engages and drops out.