GST OR HST TRANS.

/ GST OR HST TRANS. #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I went to look at tractors and they didn't have a gst tractor I could try out.The kubota rep. was there and said I should probably go with a gst as I do some plowing .I only talked with him for a couple minutes as he was quite busy.I still don't understand all there is to the gst trans. except that it does the clutching for you.Does it have a clutch peddle ,if so when do you use it?Does it have a shuttle type lever on the steering column for forward and reverse for doing loader work?I am interested in the GL5030 tractor that I want to use with a snow blower on the rear also, so the hst would be ideal for that.I do loader work and lots of mowing,tall heavy grass mostly with a bush hog.I have an m5400 now that I am selling as I can't use a snow blower on the rear as it backs up way to fast,no creeper gear kit available for it.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Herb

/ GST OR HST TRANS. #2  
My brother-in-law has a Kubota with a GST that I have some personal experience with. It has a normal left foot operated clutch and a left hand power reverser lever (forward, neutral, reverse) on the dash. You do not have to use the foot clutch at all when using the reverser. It works great with a FEL.

The GST tranny is also available with a creeper option. That turns it into a 24F/16R transmission with supper low gearing. I would think that the GST with the creeper option would work very well with a snow blower.

/ GST OR HST TRANS. #3  
Ahhhh, the great tranny debate. This is a subject that seems close to everyones heart so tread lightly.
I think its really just a matter of preference. I personally prefer the GST in most situations. I had a 3130 GST which I just traded down for a BX23 HST. If the BX was available with the GST, I wouldve gotten that instead.
The GST does have a clutch peddle on the left side. The clutch really only need be used to stop and start. You can go between gears and shuttle without touching it. I used the clutch quite often but only because of habit I think. It does have a shuttle under the left side of the steering wheel, under the right side is a hand throttle, your right foot operates a foot throttle and brakes.

Things I like about the GST:
You can utilize all of the tractors gears without stopping to change ranges. You can go from 1 to 12 and back down with just a small movement of your left hand.
You can control engine RPMs instantly by using the clutch and throttle peddle without effecting the movement of the tractor. I do this alot while using the loader to give it a burst of speed or a little more grunt. Thats what Im really missing with my BX now is the ability to instantly change engine RPMs while my right hand is busy with the loader.
Good things about the HST:
You can precisely set your speed and go as slow as you want without feathering the clutch.
I cant really think of anything else right now but Im sure someone will.

/ GST OR HST TRANS. #4  
I have attached a PDF file with a table I generated showing the speed details on the L5030 GST tranny. The data is pulled directly from the Kubota Grand-L brochure for the L5030. Note that the rated transmission speeds are at rated engine RPM, which is stated as 2700 RPM.

This is just MHO, but I would think that running the L5030 engine at full rated 540 RMP PTO speed (an engine speed of 2700 RPM or close to it) while moving along at the blistering ground speed of 8.8 feet per minute (1st gear reverse with creeper option) ought to give a properly sized 3PH snow blower plenty of time to dig through just about any depth of snow without slipping the clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 746551-5030 GST speeds.pdf
    21.4 KB · Views: 182
   / GST OR HST TRANS. #5  
I agree with the Kubota rep that you should go for the GST tranny. I just traded a TC33D (Hydro) for a L3430DT. The biggest problem that I had with the hyrdo was with ground engaging equipment such as a moldboard plow or plastic layer. Although the hydro could pull the implements, it could not pull them with sufficient speed to properly roll the soil. In other words, low range was too slow and mid range would stall and be unable to pull the implement.

I agree with the comments about the creeper gear option and the snow blower: You should have no problems with the blower in deep snow with this option.

Also, try to get the dealer to allow you to demo both machines with a plow attached. Actual usage of the implement will tell all that you need to know.

MJK

/ GST OR HST TRANS.
Thanks everyone for all the input as it has been very helpful,the gst with a creeper gear seems to be my first choice as of now anyway.The rep did say for the m5700 anyway it was a 14 hr job,I think that's what he said to put in the creeper gear as the tractor had to be split.I didn't ask him about the 5030 do any of you know.
Thanks,
Herb

/ GST OR HST TRANS. #7  
No idea what the creeper option costs or what the cost and complexity is to install it. This is definitely a question for a dealer. I would hope that the creeper option on a GST would be less than the total cost difference between the GST and the HST.

For what it's worth, the L4630 GSTC, meaning a GST transmission with Cab (the only L4630 cab transmission configuration available) includes the creeper option by default.

/ GST OR HST TRANS.
Yes, that is a very good point on the creeper gear opt. on the 4630 with cab,I didn't notice that.The only thing I see wrong with the 4630 is it is only catagory 1 not 1 and 2.Some of my equipment is cat. 2. I could get around that by changing some pins and modifying some equip.,like making my 3 bottom plow a 2 bottom which can be done very easily.
Thanks,