Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies
And you know this how ?

Have you checked the pulse line to see if there is oil in it ?
This is written in the original service manual for Groundsmaster 52. There wasn’t oil in the pulse line before putting on the new fuel pump, but I didn’t observe any smoking before the new fuel pump was installed either. Will check it again, as the new replacement fuel pump is purported to have significantly more pumping ability than the original. The original is a toro part #27-7000 IIRC, allegedly made by Walbro as their model 3000. The new Walbro 3000, sold as the replacement for the old one, is totally different in appearance and composition. While the old one is metal and a flat rectangular shape, the new one is round and made of a black manmade material, supposedly not plastic. I hadn’t made the connection that perhaps the new fuel pump may be an added player in this. The old fuel pump 27-7000 is no longer manufactured. I did notice an online source for one, but priced over $150, so I passed in favor of the new version at $30. The sales rep who sold the new one swore the new one was a superior pump…..

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #72  
this summer on a Mule with impulse pump that went bad, it worked but next to no pressure, would keep machine running but when used it ran out of fuel, the replacement pump was bad out the box so just because you replace does not guarantee its good

since then I have replaced all impulse when questionable with electric pumps

the original pump was aluminum square dealer said not available, the replacement was a round plastic at 60 dollars, this plastic one was bad out the box.

just for giggles look in the Walmart.com site, they have impulse pumps and funy enough they have both the square and round versions, if I recall the square was in the 20 dollar range and the round under 20, took a few weeks to arrive but worth looking

Last edited:
This is the fuel pump used in Groundsmaster 52 to feed the cast iron Briggs 16hp single.
A0F3B513-BFCE-40AC-8369-4A25AD280706.png

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #74  
Volvoman,
This youtube video may be useful: "How to diagnose an impulse fuel pump".
Also interesting is the fuel pump is on a Toro Proline 120. Looks real similar to the Groundmaster.

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #75  
Volvoman,
This youtube video may be useful: "How to diagnose an impulse fuel pump".
Also interesting is the fuel pump is on a Toro Proline 120. Looks real similar to the Groundmaster.

Do you think post #58 from 4 days ago is unclear?

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #76  
Do you think post #58 from 4 days ago is unclear?
No nothing unclear about post #58.
The contributor's posts keep floating around the fuel pump and testing the fuel delivery to the carb.
The youtube video was directly addressing Volvoman's specific issue of initial posting. I felt Volvoman would benefit.

Thanks M59, for posting this. This is a great way to rule the fuel pump “in” or “out” as the problem. A big time saver!

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #78  
Thanks M59, for posting this. This is a great way to rule the fuel pump “in” or “out” as the problem. A big time saver!
Your welcome.
Jaxs had the explanation correct for debugging but once I saw this video, I figured you should see it since both Toros are essentially the same machine and the problem appears to replicate your symptoms.

Yes, Jaxs absolutely did as well. I hadn‘t overlooked his recommendation, having put a bookmark on it to refer back once the system is ready to put back into place. The carb remains the first suspect, with fuel pump and lines second. Carb kit should be on the doorstep tomorrow, put into the carb by Tuesday and back into the GM 52 by days end, provided no other yet undiscovered issues come to light. Thanks once again to everyone who has contributed so many suggestions. Will post the results by late Tuesday/early Wednesday.