Grey Yanmars

/ Grey Yanmars #1  

gatractorman

Silver Member
Tractor
varies never keep one long enough to post here lol
Are the grey market Yanmars not being imported any longer, not seeing a lot of them , is Fredrick's the only one left?

/ Grey Yanmars #4  
Several years back, you saw a lot of small businesses that were selling a variety of imports. I am not sure now of what all took place, but there was a big stink raised about several issues related to these. Lots of these issues were safety related as I recall as well as regulatory in nature. Most of the small importers that I personally knew of closed down that portion of their business. They said they just did do enough business to absorb the cost of the changes. The few I know of that are still doing business across the South are in an arrangement with Frederick’s from what I understand. I do not know if Frederick’s is the only authorized distributor in the USA or not.
I do know that listing a Yanmar for sale is against policy on Hoye’s message system and eBay.
I still see them on occasion on craiglist and other such sites however.

/ Grey Yanmars #5  
Someone is, when shopping for my tractor, I was checking Craigslist in Northern California and southern Oregon, saw quite a few grey market tractor posts in both Medford and Portland posts. Several brands noted as reconditioned, shinny paint and rice paddy tires where telling giveaways.

/ Grey Yanmars #6  
Most are YMN diesel tractors the way they are advertised on CL. Who knows if they swap decals on the yard though after pics to sell them?

/ Grey Yanmars #7  
Most are YMN diesel tractors the way they are advertised on CL. Who knows if they swap decals on the yard though after pics to sell them?

yep, after the threat of a lawsuit by Yanmar. most selling the yanmar name closed up shop.
Far as I know, Fredricks is the only grey yanmar seller approved by yanmar to used their name on greys

/ Grey Yanmars #8  
yep, after the threat of a lawsuit by Yanmar. most selling the yanmar name closed up shop.
Far as I know, Fredricks is the only grey yanmar seller approved by yanmar to used their name on greys
You are correct Fredrick's and any of their authorized dealers are able to use and market the Yanmar name.

/ Grey Yanmars #9  
And once again, we all got screwed by the lawyers...

/ Grey Yanmars #10  
The bigger names may have gone, but the Craigslist business is thriving. Here in Oregon a guy imports containers full of reconditioned ones as fast as he can sell them.