Gravel pad for carport

/ Gravel pad for carport #1  

gtrippleb

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2320 TL
I know there are probably some threads out there on this but for some reason the search function isn't working.

I ordered a 18x21 carport over the weekend as I figured after 4 yrs of being outside, my tractor needed a cover. I also needed a place to store some stuff that's under my other carport while I enclose that one. I'm looking to see what folks recommend putting under it for gravel. I called the local gravel place today and the lady I talked to recommended 6 inches of ABC before I put some washed rock on it. ABC might be all I need but I don't know. 6 inches seems like a lot for my little subcompact and what else I'm going to put under it.

I'm going to be putting this on top of the ground so I thought I would put some landscape fabric down and then lay down some 6x6 treated posts on three of the sides that I have left over from building my deck. Then put down about 4 inches of gravel inside of the sides. I figure I'll rent a compactor and compact the gravel while I'm putting it down. I just started looking at what to use so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg

/ Gravel pad for carport #2  
Six inches total should be good. Not really over kill because you want the rock to block grass and weeds, as well as supost point loads like a jack ect. Your only talking couple tons anyways.

Correction- 12.6 tons at 6", chances are 13 tons and 21.5 tons wont be much different, trucking is often more than material cist.

/ Gravel pad for carport #3  
This spring I made another parking pad by using the loader to peel back the top soil and true up the parking spot I wanted with a slight lean from left to right for run off. Then I went straight down with 4-6" of crusher run and packed as I went with the tractor wheels building it all back up to about 2" above the surrounding grade. It is nice as can be and hard packed and nothing is growing up from the bottom. I do have to spray for occasional stray weed which tries to take root in the top or at the edge where my bermuda grass will try to send a runner across it, but I have to do that with the whole driveway on spots that don't get driven over a lot about 2-3 times per year to keep it looking pristine anyway.

/ Gravel pad for carport #4  
Personally, I would not put any "washed" rock on top - stick with the crusher run. Washed rock is like driving on marbles or walking on pea gravel. They just roll instead of locking together via the fines.

/ Gravel pad for carport #5  
I am in the same camp as stevecmo , working on , kneeling on washed rock ain't fun , crush run is all you need

/ Gravel pad for carport #6  
On the roads around here, I use road base instead of gravel. It packs down, doesn't wash out to the sides. I'm guessing it's the same thing as crush run. I wouldn't even bother with fabric. Due to cost (1 mile of gravel road) I only put down around three inches or so, works fine.

/ Gravel pad for carport #7  
I have gravel in my equipment shed, only issue we've had is carrying white tire tracks out onto our asphalt drive. My wife sees clients in the house, so it looks a little messy. I put down those rubber horse stall mats that have holes in them under the tractor so I don't actually drive on stones. Also makes it easier if I have to crawl under it to work.

I'll give another vote for not using washed rock, you only want to use stone that will lock together and make a stable surface. If your roof is already on, I'd suggest watering it for a day or two, that really turns it into concrete.

/ Gravel pad for carport
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm going to order the ABC tomorrow. The laddy at the gravel pit calculated I would need 12 tons. I might see what the truck holds and order some extra as I think delivery fee would be the same if the truck is half full or fully loaded. The price is $14.50/ton which I don't know if that's a good price or not. I don't have to worry about any white marks on the black top as this will be at the edge of the woods.

IMG_20131001_190731_374.jpg

Thanks,
Greg