Gravel bullets

/ Gravel bullets #11  
Being a person that loves riding motorcycle, and having my son and wife with me, I have made it a point to mention watching out for mowers. This is also the reason I have the chute facing in{away from people highways houses etc..} while mowing, same goes for snowblowing. I don't understand why folks have to blow their crap out into a street???? It's great that people want a nice looking yard but is it worth throwing a rock{or anything} into someone elses head?

/ Gravel bullets #12  
I was a landscaper for a good many years, and you would not believe the number of landscape crews that cut and throw the grass in the road. Not only that when they finish cleaning up, then blow the trash and leaves from the curbs in the road also, thinking that someone else will clean it up. You have to call them dipsticks, because they have no clue what cleaning up a property is.

The city crews here in Jacksonville always cut the grass and throw it in the road and blow the curbs into the road. They just don't know any better.

/ Gravel bullets #13  
I Bush Hog with a Bushog Brand RZ60 Razorback and it is enclosed all the way around the bottom of the deck ...It is a mulching bushog and does not ever throw any objects I hit...it just shreads them and if I hit a rock , which is seldom, I just raise it up and go on..so Look into a mulching bushhog...

/ Gravel bullets #14  
A good friend of mine was hauling pigs in an aluminum stock trailer. When he got home, he noticed an oval shaped hole in the nose of the trailer. So he peeked in and found a bush hog blade. He remembered passing mowing crews on the highway but never heard anything hit his rig. I duck when I pass highway department mowers.

I had a similar experience years ago, but i was on the giving end not recieving. Mowing with an old ford bush hog, and it started vibrating terribly. shut everything down, lifted it and looked and one knife was gone. It tore a chunk out of the debris flap half the size of a football. We found the blade the next day across the road and about 200 feet out in the neighbors field. Fortunately no one passed by at the time, and the mower was pointed in a direction away from buildings, auto's etc.
Needless to say, now the knives always come off to sharpen, and the pivot hole also gets a good inspection at the same time.

/ Gravel bullets #15  
Several years ago a young mother from Arkansas was nearly decapitated in Jackson, MS as she drove down I-55. Her young children and her mother were also in the vehicle but I don't believe any of them were injured. They were on the way to Disney World. I do remember that the family received a large settlement from Bush Hog and probably the state DOT also. Many times since then I have thought of those poor children having to witness their mother's death like that.

/ Gravel bullets #16  
Yikes, there are some pretty scary stories here. I had a neighbor mowing his lawn with a lawn boy push mower and a piece of gravel shot across the road from his lawn and broke the windsheild in my truck! You could hear the stone "whizzing" through the air.

/ Gravel bullets #17  
Learned my lesson early...mid-60s, mowing parents' side yard. Bounced rock off rr window of my car parked at curb 25+ ft away. Didn't break, but left reminder. Since then, I've been mindful where discharge chute "aimed," especially around people/animals...

/ Gravel bullets #18  
A fellow officer from work was killed year before last while bush hogging. A piece of debris ( fence staple) shot out from under the front of the deck and struck him in the back of the head.

/ Gravel bullets #19  
MDOT ran a few flail mowers when I was a kid. Around 86 or so when I was a kid 25 hwy was the only one to the lake. We passed the road crew in moms old Buick and a road mower popped m y window. I had a fist sized rock in my lap. Mom pulled off and the road manager tried to deny it happened. It happens to be they were supposed to use the flail mowers as a test but they didnt like sharpening them.

They bought us a new window. I was at work one day one of the roll off trucks was getting new tires. When the driver moved up and turned and when the inside tandem pivoted a perfect little pea gravel fired out from the outer tire tread. It hit my truck mounted welder and put a dime sized dent i nthe side panel.

/ Gravel bullets #20  
I was driving behind a truck with a cobble stone wedged between the rear double. Actually no, I left that position as soon as I saw it:)

Very hard to communicate it to the trucker too.