Grasshopper mower tire pressure

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Grasshopper is pretty adament at 8 psi for their mower tire pressure for the large tire. But why?

Street talk is that you have to keep such a low and exact pressure because more will screw up the trans hydro motors. That sounds plausible but than again might only be beer talk. But is this true or just hooey?Does anyone know? Asking for a friend. :)

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #2  
More pressure won't affect the hydro units, but will give a harsher ride.

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #3  
And Ferris states 15 psi for the rear & 25 for the front on my 1500.
Seems to me that lower tire pressure would be more stressful on the motors.
FERRIS (3).JPG

Last edited:
   / Grasshopper mower tire pressure #4  
My experience says once you get over 10 PSI the traction goes to pot and down the hill you go, then can't drive back up.
My old Yazoo is mountain goat with 12 PSI, just tracks right across the hills.

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #5  
I can't answer the question, however, 8 psi in my drive tires has worked just fine in my Grasshopper 930D -- the ride is good, and has plenty of traction for those hilly areas.

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #6  
EXmark wants 13 PSI, but I’m running 10 because the ride on my new one seems so harsh

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #7  
I run 10psi rear and 8 in front on my 1300 pound Hustler. Mainly for traction. And ride quality

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #8  
The variance in "suggested" psi for all the ZTRs out there is difficult to understand. They all seem to use the same tires and the structures are very similar..... but on just the front I've found there are differences of up to 17 lbs.

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #9  
Pretty sure I checked the max on our 725d the other day and max was 22lb. maybe I need to look at it again. We don't use it much, it is for mowing a sod lane and a barn lot and a backup mower. It rides ok, I think the tires are at 20lb. on the front (Big tires). Front deck.

/ Grasshopper mower tire pressure #10  
I've got a Raptor 54" zero turn abd they say 8-12 psi. I'm heavy, so run 10 psi.