Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #11  
Honestly the 725D is not that great if you have steep hills and or high grass. Poor power and poor traction as compared to the 900D. The extra weight of the larger engine really helps the 900D push the front deck so to speak. The 725D engine is only .9L vs the 1.3L that’s in the 900D. Huge difference in available torque and traction. Also, with 1000 less rpm’s the 900D is more enjoyable to operate. Feels like less operator fatigue to me after being on both of them for some hours at a time. The smaller motor is really to small for the front mount machines except for somewhat flatter yards that are mowed weekly. We actually have 10-12 acres that are kinda like narrow field/yard areas that get mowed every other week. Some steep hills plus one big lake dam. The grass gets very tall and think so it takes a lot of power to move that much material through a 72” deck.

Now with that said we also have a 325D mid mount that has the .9L diesel and it performs just fine. But it’s a lighter machine and doesn’t have all the weight in front like a front mount machine does.

Either way the 900D is just so much better performing. When we did the demo I can honestly say I was completely shocked how much more of a mower it actually was as compared to the others.

As for cost I can’t comment if Grasshopper’s mow better than others but I can say they are built like tanks. We mow very rough field type areas and none of them have been back to the dealer for repairs since purchased in 2017. In my opinion that’s saying alot about their build quality.

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #12  
If you are comparing a 930 to a 725 with a 72" deck, of course there's a huge difference. I have a 61" deck and in really tall grass the deck will skip before I run out of power. In that case, I have to go over it twice.

But I rarely let the grass go to that point and I do have a tractor with rotary cutter for my fields, so no big deal.

SR

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #13  
The thing I love is that both motors are Kubota diesels. They are damn near indestructible. They will run several thousand hours without a hiccup.

And in my previous post I’m not putting down the 725D, not at all. Just trying to point out if it’s kept within it’s intended use it’s a great motor but at the same time it’s not meant to compete with the larger motor for severe use.