grass seeding

/ grass seeding #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
anyone know the ins and outs for planting grass/hydroseeding, I have a priject to grass a airstrip once graded and about 2 acres of lawn, the city sprays a blueish mixture on the ground and in no time it goes green and lush, would like to get information on whau it is and how it is applied, any help is apreciated.

Laurence

/ grass seeding #2  
I believe the blueish spray is a just a mixture of seed, fertilizer, water and filler material to hold it in place (and hold in moisture)..

In this area a lot of builders will sew ryegrass because it will come up quickly and looks good, but isnt long term.. they also blend rye in with Kentucky 31/fescues so hopefully when the rye goes away the fescue will be established..

brian

/ grass seeding #3  
thatguy said:
In this area a lot of builders will sew ryegrass because it will come up quickly and looks good, but isnt long term.. they also blend rye in with Kentucky 31/fescues so hopefully when the rye goes away the fescue will be established..

brian

That is what I did also, I built a pad for a house and cleaned out a ditch. To keep it from erosion I planted rye grass and I also mix in some burmuta grass. I did this a couple of years ago and it worked out great. Here is a pic of just 1 1/2 months growth.

Attachments

• DSC00441.JPG
    DSC00441.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 228
   / grass seeding #4  
The added blue color also helps them see how thick their coverage is -- kinda like spray painting -- so they can get consistent coverage...

/ grass seeding #5  
Laurence, like others have said with hydro seeding they use a mix of seed, fertilizer, a binder and dye, the blue stuff, and spray it from a tanker truck. It is sprayed from a nozzle on the top of the truck similar to a fire nozzle or from a retractable hose. It is usually followed with a covering of straw from another truck that grinds and blows it over the ground. It is a very effective method to plant but one that needs to be hired out to those with the equipment. As an example, I built a place in the mountains and had it hydro seeded after grading to prevent erosion. There was grass growing on a power pole for two years where the overspray hit it. With your short growing season it would be a great way to get the grass established before the winter.

MarkV