Grass Clippings Vacuums

/ Grass Clippings Vacuums #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
I have a side discharge MMM for my tractor and I am looking for a way to vacuum the grass clippings up. Since I have the side discharge it just seems like I would have one heck of a big contraption on while mowing so is there a vacuum type system that I could put on the 3 point or pull type to go over the lawn after I mow. This way I could vacuum every so often. I also don't think my tractor could handle another implement while running the mower deck at the same time. I l see they make a brush that I could put on the 3 point and maybe I would be happy with that. Great for de-thatching also.

murph

/ Grass Clippings Vacuums #2  
Clippings, if they're short enough, are not any problem and don't need to be picked up. They return considerable nitrogen back to the soil so you end up using less fertilizer.

There is interesting reading at the Kansas State University Extension site. There are many good publications there covering almost all aspects of grass growing. This one about grass clippings might be useful.

/ Grass Clippings Vacuums
My problem is I get so much build up. I have to mow one direction to prevent the grass from hitting my wife's flowers so I through it where I will have to mow again and then the build up gets pretty thick. I was just thinking if I could vacuum it up or sweep it off it would help.

murph

/ Grass Clippings Vacuums #4  
Trac-Vac model 854. I've used it this summer for grass and now for leaves.

/ Grass Clippings Vacuums #5  
Parker and Agrifab make lawn sweepers that can be towed behind a tractor. I have a push lawn sweeper that does a great job but takes a lot of effort and the collection bag fills quickly.. This $99 sweeper is good for small areas.

I am considering buying a pull behind Parker lawn sweeper to tow with my BX23. I think the parker sells a 48" sweeper with a large capacity bagger. I saw one at my kubota dealer and it appeared to be solidly built. The cost was under $800. This is much cheaper than buying a Bagger system for my Exmark ZTR. Also less hassle unhooking a tow behind sweeper than a ZTR Bagging system as I only need to sweep up ocassionally.

/ Grass Clippings Vacuums #6  
I use the Cyclone Rake. It attaches to the 3PH via two pins and a custom 3PH bracket. It rides on two casters and the 3PH. The two pin arrangement makes a rigid connection which means theres no pivot point like there is with a tow behind trailer, this makes it real easy to backup and manuver around obstacles.
It picks up everything I run over. Instead of running off of the PTO, it has it's own 6hp B&S engine. Unfortunatlely this makes it very loud, ear protection is a must.
It also generates alot of dust.
I generally leave the bracket attached to the 3PH which makes it a tool-less and easy connection when I want to use it as I don't vaccum on every mow and since I mow a large area, I side discharge into a few large windrows then go back over them with the CR, especially if I let it go to long between mowings. Works out pretty good for me. Theres 3 sizes of the CR.

DR makes a similar model but with a hard plastic hopper and theres two models with a built-in chipper.

Theres several others, some of which are powered by the tractors PTO.

A side benefit is compost. Last years grass & leaf clippings are this years compost. I don't worry about bins and such nor do I bag. I just pile 'em up and turn it once a week or so w/the FEL. Makes good rich compost /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Both CR & DR will send you a free VHS tape extolling their product, just go to their websites and request one.
Good luck
Volfandt

Attachments

• 763264-Cyclone Rake 008.jpg
    763264-Cyclone Rake 008.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 213