Grapple for Working in the Woods

/ Grapple for Working in the Woods #1  

bcs001

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 Branson 3620H
I am looking for recommendations based on using this grapple on Branson 3620h (36hp) 20 series hydrostat with a 2700 lb rated FEL. I am on a heavily wooded lot that I intend to work on opening up in select areas so I will be felling all sized trees and needing to either skid them out or pluck from the cut end using the grapple. I will also be doing a lot of heavy brush and branch clearing of stuff that is already dead and on the ground or that I will be cutting and pushing with the teeth of the grapple to get the smaller surface roots ripped up.

Initially I thought I would need the grapple with the longer lower tines and small single lid to grab a large load of brush, branches and tree trunks but the more think about what I want to do, the more I am leaning towards the smaller tine full sized top lid. These style grapples appear to allow better driving forward into the ground to rip out small roots and then be able to back rake with the top lid tines.

The EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple looks like a better choice over the EA Single Lid Wicked Root Grapple for Compact Tractors. I also will be using it to pick up medium sized rocks, sections of old concrete/stone walkway and various piles of random materials scattered around the property.

My dealer wants to sell me the Titan 66" single or double lid root grapple with the large lower tines but with the "V" shaped lower teeth. This grapple only comes with large upper teeth on the lid and it seems the back raking and plucking of rocks/walkway would be very limited but I would like to hear you experienced guy's thoughts about all of this.

Thanks,
Bruce.

Attachments

• EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple.JPG
    EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 180
  • EA Wicked Root single lid grapple.JPG
    EA Wicked Root single lid grapple.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Titan serg66.JPG
    Titan serg66.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 160
   / Grapple for Working in the Woods #2  
Here's a nice thread on the subject... Which Grapple? A Guide

Another discussion, with quite a few guys chiming in.. Which Wicked Grapple?

I will say that the 240 pound Wicked 55 is the most popular, compact tractor maximizing grapple EVERY created!!
I'm glad to chat about it on the phone anytime, to help you or anyone else choose the best grapple for your tractor and application. 828-464-1200
Travis

LseriesFlexs.jpg

55hStbn.jpg

CompactDeeres.jpg

55instagram.JPG

Here's a video by a great EA customer with a comparable sized tractor..

/ Grapple for Working in the Woods #4  
My grapple use is moving brush, ripping out poison oak, and moving logs. I went with the long bottom tine EA Wicked grapple because it looks like it has a larger capacity for brush. The long bottom lets me load a bunch of small diameter logs. I can even pull up to a pile and load the grapple by hand just by opening the lids and piling them on That's useful when I can't get to the logs or the pile does not pick up easily with the grapple, and they're small enough to pick up.

I don't do much root digging, and it's not all that good for that. You can angle the grapple down and dig but it seems like it's a bad direction to put much force on the loader. I'm ok leaving the roots in the ground or the trunks cut flush and using herbicide to keep them from resprouting. Or just mowing them over and over.

It does ok to pull poison oak out of trees or brush as long as I can reach a stem and get it caught on the sharp backwards facing teeth (which have not worn at all, EA uses some good steel). Or if I can grab the PO where it's got a lot of branches (the bush form rather than the vine 40' up a tree form). It misses some but I can deal with that by hand.

I went with the dual lids to better grip uneven material. Some of the tree species we have grow any way but straight. Having two cylinders instead of one means the lids move slower which I thought would go better with the 3rd function I planned to install. The idea was that the lids would move slower allowing me to "feather" them (apply just enough force) even though a 3rd function is just on and off. Two years later I'm still running it off a remote on the fender. I did discover that I don't ever "feather" the grapple. I always crunch down until the lids stop moving.

The dual lids usually do not open or close at the same speed. Often one moves before the other starts. That's normal but it does mean it takes a little more time to open or close. I just turn the engine rpms up to get more flow and it's ok.

One drawback to the long tine style is when picking up a big log that's close to the loader's capacity. Since the log is farther away from the pins than it could be (depending on the diameter) it can be harder to curl. I've carefully transported logs that were too heavy to curl by leaving the grapple pointed down and the lids gripping the log. My 3725's loader is about 500 lbs less capacity than the newer Branson loaders.

Last edited:
   / Grapple for Working in the Woods #5  
Compare weights of the various EA grapples closely.

Typically, the objectives are strength, size and design using quality materials - at the least weight.

I went with the 60" Wicked Root with the 3 hinge points for the top lid. Subjectively, I consider it might be a stronger design limiting twist, over the 2 hinges used on the 55"...yet the 60" still remains reasonably light.

I've used mine a LOT, much for the purposes you've described, though on a 60hp tractor with the 1065 FEL.

I'm totally satisfied with it and there is nothing I've found it needing or wishing it had different.

I've NOT tried others as a comparison, so would never say it's the best (although I might think it is!).

/ Grapple for Working in the Woods #6  
Seven years ago I went thru the process of - "which grapple". I have little need for a brush grapple. I do want to move large sections of pine trunk and dig out and move rather large rocks.

I purchased a Land Pride SCG1560 rock & root grapple. I had the dealer install the grapple and a WR Long third function valve. I took my OEM grill guard to a local weld shop and had that modified. It's been such a great implement - I've not had reason to ever reinstall the bucket.

View attachment 686694View attachment 686696

/ Grapple for Working in the Woods #7  
IF I ever buy another grapple it will be a rotating logging style grapple, SS mount. Tired of grapping stuff that I can't get out of the woods due to width.

/ Grapple for Working in the Woods #8  
Frankly the best the grapple, is the one you have. Any grapple is better than none. You probably won't be disappointed no matter what, as long as your tractor can handle it. You need to be careful with logs as it is very easy to have an unbalanced load that can either damage your FEL arms or even roll your tractor in extreme situations. Low and slow are the rules, and try to get the weight centered as best you can. You cannot always start that way but you can tug and shift to get it more balanced by resetting where you grab a couple times, as needed.

But if you are serious about doing a good amount of logging a 3pt PTO driven logging/skidding winch should really be in your plans as well as the grapple. If you no longer need it you will probably be able to sell it for as much as you paid for it a few years down the road.

/ Grapple for Working in the Woods #9  
And Mr. Oosik'S grill cover...don't forget that...do it BEFORE you pick up your first twig.

It's more important than what grapple you choose!

My tractor has a few battle scars...from before adding my protection.

/ Grapple for Working in the Woods #10  
Frankly the best the grapple, is the one you have. Any grapple is better than none. You probably won't be disappointed no matter what, as long as your tractor can handle it. .

Very good advice. I will add I had a single lid on my last tractor that I used for over ten years. I have a dual lid on my current tractor. I’m not sure that a dual lid makes that much difference when moving uneven loads. Both lid styles work great for my uses. I have only owned the long bottom style. I think the advantage to the short bottom type grapple would for prying stumps. Sometimes I hand load the grapple and the long bottom works well for that.