Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else?

/ Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I planted a green concord grape plant in the corner of the garden 24 months ago,,

it is only one plant, and off that plant is currently growing at least 8 main "canes",, (maybe more than that!?)

Some to the left, some to the right, some along a wire to the rear,,,

rv6Moc6.jpg

The main plant is kinda in the center of the picture.
The canes are each about 10 feet long.

So, how do I find out what is the correct pruning technique?
Cane?
Spur?
something "else"?

I watched enough YouTube videos to be confused,,
I now know how to cane or spur prune, but, I do not know which is the correct technique for my concord green grape plant,,

I watched some woman pruning on YouTube,, she was doing some other technique,, but, she just totally confused me,,
(maybe she did not know what she was doing? She had a different term for her type of pruning)

A couple videos discussed summer pruning, which seems to occur right after harvest,, so, I am asking advice now,,,

So any advice would be appreciated,,,

What do I do,, besides spray with 2-4-D ? :laughing:

/ Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else? #2  
Grapes grow like weeds no matter what you do. There are two basic schools of thought; the "central leader" system, where you have one stem attached to a pole which has two wires running off it, the second about 2 feet higher than the first. You then choose four spurs, two each on opposite sides of the main stem, fasten them to the wires, and cut them back so that each only has two buds... like an old fashioned telephone pole with two cross arms.
The other is to grow it up and across a trellis which is made of poles, with supported latticework about 8 feet off the ground. Then you thin the vines each year enough so that light can get in.

The first is the method which I tried. It also doesn't work, as my vines grow way too much every year; so I just prune them hard every spring and they still take over the area by the end of the summer.

The second makes a nice shaded area to take a break on a hot summer day, maybe even have a lawn chair and your cooler under it.

/ Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else? #3  
I had two Concord purple grape plants. I pruned until each had only two main canes. One to the left - other to the right. All canes attached to a single wire. Soon learned we were growing grapes for the chipmunks and mice. Of course, the deer tried and did not like.

However - they DID NOT touch the main reason for the grapes. I wanted the leaves. The leaves are one of the main ingredients in homemade dill pickles.

Us, the chipmunks & mice were all happy. We all got what we wanted.

/ Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else?
I had two Concord purple grape plants. I pruned until each had only two main canes. One to the left - other to the right. All canes attached to a single wire. Soon learned we were growing grapes for the chipmunks and mice. Of course, the deer tried and did not like.

However - they DID NOT touch the main reason for the grapes. I wanted the leaves. The leaves are one of the main ingredients in homemade dill pickles.

Us, the chipmunks & mice were all happy. We all got what we wanted.

That sounds like a good pruning technique,, I think I will try it,,

In spite of a deer proof fence,, SO MANY animals are getting in the garden this year,,
burrowing under the fence,, a first in 20 years,,

I may buy a truckload of rip-rap gravel, and surround the fence,,
Stone seems to stop digging,,,
n

/ Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else? #5  
One of the reasons we quit gardening so many years ago. The animals "share" kept getting larger every year.

The final year - pocket gophers took all the spuds & carrots. Deer got the kohlrabi. Black birds finished off the corn. Coons, chipmunks & mice got all the berries & grapes. We were left with two rows of kale & one short row of radishes. None of the animals liked that stuff.

One of the reasons we quit gardening so many years ago. The animals "share" kept getting larger every year.

The wife and I are on a KETO diet this year,, (since before Thanksgiving) so,, the total garden is for "sport",, and exercise,,
The grandchildren love raiding the garden,, it is magic to them,,

Maybe next year we will be enjoying the garden ourselves again,,,

/ Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else? #7  
CADplans - google - - trellising grapes. It will show exactly how to do it. Video's are better than words.

You have some very healthy looking plants. Grapes can be VERY persnickety when it comes to soil types. Obviously, you have the correct type.

CADplans - google - - trellising grapes. It will show exactly how to do it. Video's are better than words.

You have some very healthy looking plants. Grapes can be VERY persnickety when it comes to soil types. Obviously, you have the correct type.

I will be watching more videos,,, thanks,,

as far as the soil,, I dug a trench 3 feet deep along that back fence close to a decade ago,, and filled it with "compost/mulch"
then I put a half foot of topsoil back on,,

I did that in several locations around my garden,,

the grapes seem to like it!! :thumbsup:

I planted some blueberries over a similar trench,, they grow,, but, are not going anything great,,

I planted blackberries over part of a trench,, well,, maybe I should not have encouraged them,,, :confused2: the plants are over 8 feet tall,,,

:laughing:

/ Grapes? Do I Cane, Or Spur Prune? Or Something Else? #9  
^^^^^
Blueberries need a more acidic soil so it makes sense if they are in the same soil as the others. Try adding sulfur or another PH lowering amendment in springtime. It will take a couple of years to see results.

^^^^^
Blueberries need a more acidic soil so it makes sense if they are in the same soil as the others. Try adding sulfur or another PH lowering amendment in springtime. It will take a couple of years to see results.

I do add sulfur annually,,
but,,
I may be fighting a loosing battle,,
Ruth Stout's book says lots of compost will ultimately force the pH to neutral,,

That area had LOTS of mulch/compost,, I may have to wait years for the soil to go acidic,,, :eek: