Grandson Certified Welder

/ Grandson Certified Welder #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
I'm very proud of my Grandson. He's 22 years old. Certified Welder. Works for a company doing Commercial Grade Welding. His previous gig was welding medical grade stainless steel. Now he's welding iron pipe.

This gig has him in Commerce, Georgia. He's working on construction of a Battery factory for SK Battery. When it's up and running they'll make batteries for Ford and Volkswagen Electric autos.

I'll let the pictures talk.

20211113_145710.jpg

20211113_145720.jpg

IMG_88521.jpg

IMG_89231.jpg

20211117_141651.jpg

20211106_111610.jpg

IMG_20211115_221045_444.jpg

/ Grandson Certified Welder
   / Grandson Certified Welder #4  
There's a young man to be proud of. Looks like very tiring work....as well as dangerous. Concentrating on a perfect weld would be tiring.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Grandson Certified Welder #5  
They wouldn't let me work there if I could weld like that. First bead I made like that,I'd stop to admire it and get fired for slacking on the job.

/ Grandson Certified Welder #6  
Great security being a tradesman. Looks like he's been at this for a while. Was his interest started somehow through his Grandpa in his early years?

/ Grandson Certified Welder #7  
The US Navy spent the ENTIRE summer of 1971 getting me, and 50 other guys trained well enough as welders to receive certification.
I probably practiced welding submarine pressure hull for over 100 hours alone,,

My toughest cert test was 3/4" pressure hull, with three types of rod, including 110-18.
All of our test plates were x-ray examined.

Based on my experience, I would say your grandson is a true craftsman,,, (y)

As far as my certification, the Navy assigned me to a WWII era destroyer,,
I occasionally welded a handrail stanchion, or a bracket for a new light fixture... :eek:

The entire summer of 1972, they trained our rate in fire fighting, and damage control.
I guess they could not decide what they wanted us to do,,, :unsure:

There's a young man to be proud of. Looks like very tiring work....as well as dangerous. Concentrating on a perfect weld would be tiring.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike. I am very proud of him.

His first job was in Virginia where he worked for a year. Expanding a military ammunition plant. Often welding pipe 40ft off the floor. He hasn't mentioned this job being that high up but in the pics he's high enough that his day will be ruined if he falls. Note he has a harness on.

Definitely would be tiring for old men. And I too would tire of the concentration required. He sent me a video last year of welding and changing hands without stopping and no interruption in the perfect bead. It all comes natural to him. And he's almost addicted to it. Lives to do it. I'm glad he feels that way. Everyone should have a job they feel that way about.

He's a very intelligent, logical, grounded young man. I lecture him about the large money he's making. If he'll manage his money as well as he manages his welding skills he will be able to walk away from that tiring career by the time his body starts rebelling. :)

They wouldn't let me work there if I could weld like that. First bead I made like that,I'd stop to admire it and get fired for slacking on the job.
Me too Jaxs. :)

Dylan says the first week on a new job is a bit stressful. The Boss is looking over your shoulder and very critical. Once you prove yourself they leave you alone. He had his first job before he graduated from Welding School. He's been constantly employed since. Has companies calling him offering jobs. He's very Blessed to have been given a talent such as that and to follow it.

Great security being a tradesman. Looks like he's been at this for a while. Was his interest started somehow through his Grandpa in his early years?
He's been Commercial Welding for 2 1/2 years.

Actually his first taste was in the Vocational School at his High School. I was a bit surprised he gravitated to it. But after seeing his natural talent it made sense. I can't take any credit for it. :)

I have another family member who is currently attending the same school Dylan did. She'll graduate in a couple months. She's a beautiful young woman and I never thought she'd want to be a Welder. She too was introduced to it at the Vo Tech school where Dylan learned. I look forward to having those two together at a family gathering and listen to them talk. Maybe we can get a contest going. :)