Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
I saw this issue mentioned somewhere else on a different thread with someone elses new L60. So when the issue happened to me yesterday I didn't freak and think the new tractor with 6-ish hours had a real problem... I knew it had THIS problem.

First couple of times using the L4760 I thought I heard a rubber squeaking sound when turning the wheel sharp - but new tractor everything is tight - didn't pay a lot of attention.

Yesterday turning sharp - the steering got really HARD... like I thought "Ohh man - is there a hydro issue" - then a POP! - and easy steering... and I knew what it was because I read someone else having the same issue...

IMG_0197.JPG

On the right side the steering column passes through the cab and there's a rubber grommet to seal the cab. Apparently Kubota either puts this is wrong so it binds from the start OR based on what I found - they install it without enough grease to let the shaft move freely without binding on the rubber itself. You can see there's a little metal clip that holds the neck tight ot the shaft.

SO - when it finally grabs ad binds the steering feels like it's "dead" because you are wrapping the grommet around the shaft and binding in the hole. Then it pops completely loose with a loud sound and then it's free, not sealing things.

To fix it I put a generous amount of clear multipurpose grease on the shaft, pull the grommet back up, seated it in the grove, reattached the clip and bob's your uncle - DONE.

THe steering shaft turns freely and you can watch it in the grommet - no signs of binding and the rubber rubbing sound from when it was brand new is completely gone. Probably every time I change the oil I'll put a fresh blob of multipurpose grease on this thing to keep it moving freely.

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #2  
I had the same thing happen on my new l6060hstc. I didn’t have grease handy the night I fixed it and it hasn’t come off since December when I got the tractor. Next time I remember I plan to spray some wd40 white lithium grease on it.

Seems like something they do on the initial build is wrong.

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue
Probably was something you posted that I read that kept me from having a heart attack when it happened!

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #4  
Probably was something you posted that I read that kept me from having a heart attack when it happened!

Yeah I recall mentioning it in my first impression thread. It scared me to death the first time because the steering actually locked before it freed up. I thought I had gotten a dud!

You did a much better write up for someone that is searching for this in the future. I bet we are not the only two!

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue
It WAS your thread - and your description if it was EXACTLY why I didn't freak!
Seriously - thank you. I heard that squeaky rubber a few times and thought "I wonder if that's the rubber thing that guy wrote about" - but never had a problem... then - when I was turning hard and it happened - it was EXACTLY how you described it! So much so that I didn't stop... when it went POP I thought - OK - that rubber thing popped out... and kept working!

I love it when the internet actually works!

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #6  
Interesting. I just put a rubber something plug back in place on the right side of my cab a few weeks ago. Don't remember if it was the steering or something else offhand, memory is going to ****. But it did look like it had adhesive or sealant around the outside edge. Was wondering if I'd have to keep popping it back in & re-glue it. Might lube it next time I think about it.

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #7  
I noticed that issue last year and did a video on it. There is actually two issues with the tractor that I noticed so the video covers both of them.

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #8  
I noticed that issue last year and did a video on it. There is actually two issues with the tractor that I noticed so the video covers both of them.

Paul good video of the issue. I never knew about the pedal issue which surprised me as I thought Aluminium wasn't supposed to corrode like that so it was definitely worth the time to watch.

I am surprised they don't tell the dealers to check it. However, at least in my case it must have been fine at the dealers, but once I started using the tractor and turning a lot as you said it got hung up. Knock on wood I haven't had it happen again but I need to spray some lubricant on it. I wonder if maybe heat is a factor in helping that grommet fuse onto the steering shaft, and since it has been so darn cold I luckily just haven't had it happen again.

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #9  

Great to see you posting here again Paul. I always enjoy your great information!

/ Grand L60 cab steering column rubber grommet issue #10  
Paul good video of the issue. I never knew about the pedal issue which surprised me as I thought Aluminium wasn't supposed to corrode like that so it was definitely worth the time to watch.

I am surprised they don't tell the dealers to check it. However, at least in my case it must have been fine at the dealers, but once I started using the tractor and turning a lot as you said it got hung up. Knock on wood I haven't had it happen again but I need to spray some lubricant on it. I wonder if maybe heat is a factor in helping that grommet fuse onto the steering shaft, and since it has been so darn cold I luckily just haven't had it happen again.

Thanks. Well those situations took both the dealer and Kubota Canada by surprise. Kubota Canada sent reps out along with the dealer to spend an afternoon with us and look and talk about issues we found along with fixes so they are trying to get things right. The issue with the grommet is that it was assembles bone dry so it had to fail at the job it was supposed to do. Here痴 a photo or two of their visit. Keep well.

Attachments

• C8DB52B4-07CE-4275-AE45-A6A6C6321479.jpeg
    C8DB52B4-07CE-4275-AE45-A6A6C6321479.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 102
  • 0918283D-2C89-46A1-89E3-46D6DBE96138.jpeg
    0918283D-2C89-46A1-89E3-46D6DBE96138.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 2666ECF8-10D6-467B-B0C3-D4C248D59078.jpeg
    2666ECF8-10D6-467B-B0C3-D4C248D59078.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 5A0EC8DD-932D-4B03-B28B-C67B7F31070D.jpeg
    5A0EC8DD-932D-4B03-B28B-C67B7F31070D.jpeg