Forks Gotta question about pallet forks

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #11  
Sorry, I only looked at 1of the pound specs they break it down fork and backing plate. Just looked on Titan again. 196 lbs for just the 48" forks and another 120# for the backing plate. They didn't offer a lighter duty set that i could find.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #12  
Sorry, I only looked at 1of the pound specs they break it down fork and backing plate. Just looked on Titan again. 196 lbs for just the 48" forks and another 120# for the backing plate. They didn't offer a lighter duty set that i could find.
Easy to get confused since there's so many sizes and types of forks out there. I just called Mast Farm Svc, where I got mine, and they weigh almost 400 lbs. Their lighter 1500 lb, 42" version weighs 250 lbs.

There's more since the 48" forks put any load further out on the forks and that makes the weight feel and act heavier.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #13  
As inferred in previous comments, it is probably best to go over the lift capacity to allow for the inevitable abuse (intentional or not) to which they will be subjected. You will undoubtedly try to lift something the tractor won't.

To help with the length decision, paint marks on a 2x4 where you figure the tips of 36, 42, and 48" blades will end. Clamp the 2x4 to your bucket in the position the fork blades will be and see what length has the best visibility from the operator's seat. It is aggravating to approach a pallet or other load, instinctively stand to get a better view, and kill the engine when you touch the accelerator pedal with an unweighted seat. Modern safety devices strike again!

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #14  
I have 42" forks, as I recall 4000lb. There are times I may prefer longer forks but they also stick out further, make it easier to snag something, and are generally about the right size for my use. Also, keep in mind that most people end up using forks for many things they never expected. Some use them for digging, prying out big rocks, etc. My guess the rating is based upon spreading the weight and pressure across the length of the fork. Might take much force less to bend or damage an end when prying, etc.

Don't know if you could damage forks with your current tractor but to feel comfortable using them for whatever comes up I would prefer heavier duty than lighter.

You can also buy fork extensions that go over the existing fork for greater length.