Forks Gotta question about pallet forks

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #1  

GrumpyJoe

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533 HST w/ FEL
I have a Mahindra 1533 that the FEL will lift about 1700lbs. The few dealers I have spoken to says they have 4000lbs 48in forks. Isn't that an overkill? The forks they offer weigh around 375-400lbs. Woods offers a set of 2200lbs with 42in that weigh in at 275. Do I need 4000lbs forks if my tractor can only lift 1700lbs? I've looked on here and kinda found an answer. But kinda not. Thanks for the help.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #2  
What do you intend to lift with forks..... That should be a criteria in what ever forks you decide on... And the tare weight of forks reduces the lift capacity of your FEL....

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #3  
Everything Attachments makes a set of 42" 3000lb forks that would probably be a good match. It's not just about your lift capacity, but the breakout force you put on them, so you need more than your lift capacity.

If you won't be doing things you shouldn't with them, 2200lb will probably be fine. The 3000lb will just give you a little more wiggle room.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #4  
4000 lbs and 48" is overkill for that tractor. I have a set like that and while they're OK for a 90HP tractor, are all my little 790 Deere @30HP can only handle them with a small load of wood on them.

I feel you would be happier with 42" forks that were lighter made and weighed less.

Last edited:
   / Gotta question about pallet forks #5  
Yes... I like your logic better than the dealers. Also consider shorter length if you work in a confined space much. I have 36" forks. They handle pallets fine, allow better maneuverability, lighter, and they can dig like a wood chuck!

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #6  
I've got a Grand L 6060 it lifts about the same. I purchased a set of 48" x 4000 lb forks. They have worked fine for me, they weigh about 200lbs. I even have a long set of extensions that I put on them to pick up my snowmobile and put it in the back of my truck. I wouldn't get a set that max out at the loader lift spec. I don't think you will save enough weight to off set the chance that you might bend or break a fork. I always use a larger nail than required too.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #7  
If you don't plan on ever going with a bigger tractor then the lighter one should work fine for your needs but, I know in my different experiences' things change and the need for an upgrade is a very real possibility.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #8  
I think the MFR said my forks are 300#s. The dealer suggested the 36" forks due to the lift capacity. I use them a lot and I don't really NEED longer ones, though if you will be scooping up brush piles they could come in handy. In the end I wonder if the frame for the forks that snap on the quick attach is the same between the two and what ever extra weight is the length of the fork itself.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #9  
I've got a Grand L 6060 it lifts about the same. I purchased a set of 48" x 4000 lb forks. They have worked fine for me, they weigh about 200lbs. I even have a long set of extensions that I put on them to pick up my snowmobile and put it in the back of my truck. I wouldn't get a set that max out at the loader lift spec. I don't think you will save enough weight to off set the chance that you might bend or break a fork. I always use a larger nail than required too.
I'm not sure about this but I have a set of 48" forks with 4000+ lb rating and seems to me they weigh lots more than 200 lbs. I'm not sure on this but in the barn with a gravel floor I can barely or not at all budge them even a little bit when not hooked up.

/ Gotta question about pallet forks #10  
I think the MFR said my forks are 300#s. The dealer suggested the 36" forks due to the lift capacity. I use them a lot and I don't really NEED longer ones, though if you will be scooping up brush piles they could come in handy. In the end I wonder if the frame for the forks that snap on the quick attach is the same between the two and what ever extra weight is the length of the fork itself.
To pick up brush I have used 2x4's edgewise and made extensions that slip over the forks. You can get a huge amount of brush on that way. I don't do much brush so this worked for me.