Got the F-20 running

/ Got the F-20 running #1  

3Lfarms

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XU6168CPS and Farmall F-20
Hauled it home last summer after sitting for 30 odd years.
IMG_0062.JPG

Took it for its first drive Sunday after going through everything but the transmission.
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG

I made sure to not go overboard and clean and paint things. I want it to stay as original as possible. It does have a new manifold and professionally overhauled carburetor, but the rest was mostly just repairs to make it operate correctly, and new tires of course.

I am thinking I want to coat it in linseed oil to preserve it as is. What’s a good mix that won’t turn it into a sticky mess?

/ Got the F-20 running #2  
Very nice! I'm glad your going to keep the patina.

/ Got the F-20 running #3  
Good looking tractor..!! I had one years ago, and looking at it parked on your trailer is why I sold it. My old deck over Eager Beaver trailer was 1" under the then 8' maximum width law, and it was right at the edge like yours, when parked straight on. I usually took 2 tractors to shows, so parking it at a slight angle would have been pretty precarious.

I'm more into garden tractors now,and seeing guy's using Linseed oil to protect the patina, which I love. Gives them some character. Like you, what experience I've had with Linseed oil, at least on wood stall doors, seemed to stay somewhat sticky for a whle, and collect dust. I've also wondered what Mineral oil would do.

I did a quick search, and found this article on preserving metal with Linseed oil. I guess the trick is, to use boiled oil, instead of raw, and also gives the ratio to mix with mineral spirits to dry. How to Finish Metal With Hand-Rubbed Oil | Home Guides | SF Gate

/ Got the F-20 running #4  
I guess I'm out of step now, but I don't understand this whole patina thing. I'd restore and repaint it. Of course, the whole "rat rod" thing leaves me cold too.

/ Got the F-20 running #5  
Nice to see yesterday's iron still alive.

/ Got the F-20 running
I guess I'm out of step now, but I don't understand this whole patina thing. I'd restore and repaint it. Of course, the whole "rat rod" thing leaves me cold too.

My grand-dad used to say “It’s only original once. “

I like that this one was used but not abused with almost all the original parts vs. a hodge-podge of different tractors covered over with a new coat of paint. It tells an honest working story.

/ Got the F-20 running #7  

:thumbsup:
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I've run pickups with "patina" all of my life, and don't see the attraction.

/ Got the F-20 running #9  
Rust converter on old tractor:

/ Got the F-20 running #10  
We had an F-30 that loped and ran rough at idle or light load, but the harder you worked it, the better it ran. A neighbor couldn't believe it's power (it had a high compression head), and he tried to stall it out on the silo filer. It just bellowed and the governor opened up, but it could not be stopped.

We also had an F-14 that was great for raking hay. That solid seat pedestal left something to be desired tho

At the time, you could buy them for pennies.