Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon

/ Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Didn't hunt last year because of health reasons but this yer I will do some local (SE Michigan deer hunting).

2 years ago I bought a S&W 460 XVR Performance Center wheelgun but really haven't used it though I have loaded 50 or so 300 grain Hornady HP's in Starline brass with Federal Large Rifle primers and a full house load on Lil Gun for it.

Today, in anticipation of the November rut, I sighted her in a 50 yards, just a tad high (1/2") of the bull and dead center vertically. Gun is a hoot. Ran about 30 rounds through it. The XVR has ti have the best factory trigger I've ever pulled, It pulls at 2 pounds, no creep, no let off, just BANG. Shooting it on the supplied bi-pod

One thing about the XVR 460, besides being insanely expensive, it's insanely deadly. With a 300 grain HP, there isn't an animal in the entire world it cannot stop. I fully expect an entrance and exit wound and hopefully the Hornady XTP 452's will remove most of the guts so I'll have less work to do in the field.:D

/ Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon #2  
Using a ruger 450 bushmaster scout rifle this year.Shooting the 450 cal. with underwood ammo 245 gr Xtreme penetrator bullet.

Last edited:
   / Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon #3  
Sooooo........ when you shoot a deer - who helps you pick up the chunks? You use a weapon capable of stopping an enraged, charging rhino or elephant to kill a deer?

"there isn't an animal in the entire world it cannot stop"

Don't be upset - just having a little AM fun.

All those years - all those moose. And all I had was my Remington model 600 in 308.

/ Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon #4  
I'm shooting a .260 Remington this year. I took 4 does last year, probably be does and culls this year.

/ Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon #5  
That's some fire power :eek: I like my 30-30 model 94 open sights woods hunting and fill the freezer many times,long distance Remington 280 with scope on the big racks.

/ Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon #6  
I have no silly restrictions in northern MI so I use a .308. I do not need a .308 but it is what I have.

/ Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon #7  
Sooooo........ when you shoot a deer - who helps you pick up the chunks? You use a weapon capable of stopping an enraged, charging rhino or elephant to kill a deer?

All those years - all those moose. And all I had was my Remington model 600 in 308.

What do you think of people that use a 12 Ga shotgun?
Bigger chunk of lead & will also stop anything on the planet.

/ Got my deer hammer sighted in this afternoon
I have no silly restrictions in northern MI so I use a .308. I do not need a .308 but it is what I have.

Not sure if the restriction is silly or not and I own property north of M46 which is the demarcation line between restricted and unrestricted. I can hunt with a howitzer up there (my north property) bit I prefer down here, no CWD issues...yet.

Down here, I suspect it has a lot do do with concentrated population but then the MDNR does some crazy stuff.

I'm pretty sure the 460 will be 'doing the job' come November. Hunting private land on a landholder permit, 45 minutes from where I live, not 3 hours from here.

I'm not greedy nor am I a 'slob' hunter. One is plenty and a doe versus a buck. My home is adorned with mounts from all over the world now. Many eyes staring at us.:D Strictly for the freezer and I'm doing my part to keep them off bumpers of vehicles.

Car deer crashes are a big issue down here and the deer usually wins. been there, did that and totalled a vehicle before. The deer wan't worth a hoot. All mush from the impact.

Have a custom built Pierce Engineering 308 that shoots sub MOA at 300 yards every day, another in 300 Win Mag and another is 338 Lapua, each one a different tool for different situations. The 338 is my long distance shooter, the 300 is medium distance and the 308 out to 500 yards maximum. Past 500, the kinetic power isn't capable of an ethical kill. None of which are really useful here. Why I bought the 460. Even on my 'up north' property, a 'long distance' shot might be 100 yards with mist much closer. I can carry the 460 in a cross draw chest holster and not be 'bothered' with toting a longer stick in the trees. Why I bought it in the first place. Not so much for the fire power but for the ability to carry it on my chest, out of the way.

While I say it was expensive, in reality it was a cheap date compared to my long guns.