Gopher time

/ Gopher time #1  

metalbender

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey 1742
Going out tomorrow to persue one of my favorite summer pastimes, Gopher shooting. Have a few farmers with too many of the little critters causing havock in pastures and crop. They don't usually have time to reduce the numbers, appreciate me helping out. I really apprciate the opportunity to get some trigger time.

/ Gopher time #2  
Wats a matta wit chew Bender? Plumbers and welders would be lost without their gofers.
The little demons we call Gophers in Tx are rarely seen above ground and that's only momentarily while pushing dirt out from new tunneling. In a few places,we have prairie dogs that are hunted at long range.

/ Gopher time
Abundance of gophers here, 2-300 in an afternoon is good.The ones at 20 ft are harder to hit than the 50 yrd shots. Kinda like whack-a mole with a .22.

/ Gopher time #4  
The “trigger” time I like is the propane bombs!

/ Gopher time #5  
Oh,you can't get that close to the dogs,they have look-outs that whistle at first sign of danger and ever one dives in holes. Land owners suffer far more damage by feral hogs than any thing else in Tx. Some thrill junkies opt for catch dogs and knives (not this old boy) but most hunt at night with rifles.

/ Gopher time
I use a gopher call to get their attention, makes them stand. Call is made in Montana IIR.

/ Gopher time #7  
The gophers we have here don't come out of the burrows and don't stand. You'd have to shoot into the hole when they appear momentarily to push dirt out. Even the outdoor cat, who had all the time in the world, didn't have the patience for more than a couple a year.

I use cinch traps on the ones in the lawn and garden.

/ Gopher time
Yup, actually Richardson's ground squirrel. Commonly called gophers since the beginning of time here. Been a praire pastime for eons. Managed to thin the herd by 272 in five hrs. Enough to give me a sore arm with the bolt gun. Pretty busy pasture.

/ Gopher time #10  
Yup, actually Richardson's ground squirrel. Commonly called gophers since the beginning of time here. Been a praire pastime for eons. Managed to thin the herd by 272 in five hrs. Enough to give me a sore arm with the bolt gun. Pretty busy pasture.

Our ancestors did us no favors when they made up names. Around here, box turtles that crawl around on dry land are called terapins,those that climb out of water onto logs and soak up the sun are called turtles.:wizard: We only shoot the ones sitting on logs. Why? I haven't a clue. They don't bother anything. Maybe because our grandpaws did.:confused3: