Gooseneck questions

/ Gooseneck questions #1  

mooch

I had another thread on here about gn vs. bumper pull. I have decided on a gooseneck but have a few questions. My local trailer dealer (who is really a good guy, one of the few business people I trust to do things the right way) has a left over GN 27'. He gave me a good deal on it but there are a few things which I would do differently if i ordered a new one. it only has one front jack instead of two. Does that make any real difference? The trailer I am looking at is a Maxxuum 27' deck over with flip up ramps. I will in reality only use the trailer maybe 5-10 times per year. Any reason to spend more and get upgraded axles or two front jacks?

/ Gooseneck questions #2  
not sure what you are asking about the axels but 1 jack should be fine as long as you do not unhook loaded a lot, the trailer alone probably weighs under 1000 lbs and the jack is probably rated to a min 5k so that's a pretty good ratio.

/ Gooseneck questions #3  
My 30' gn tandem dual weighs around 7000 lbs, it has dual jacks but they only support a percentage of the weight. What kind of weight are you hauling? I would not think that a single jack would cause a problem. I would much rather drag 4 tires around than 8 unless you need the extra capacity, also costs twice as much to replace tires.

/ Gooseneck questions #4  
... the trailer alone probably weighs under 1000 lbs and the jack is probably rated to a min 5k so that's a pretty good ratio.

Hold on, a 27' gooseneck weighs less than 1000 lbs? :confused:

/ Gooseneck questions #7  
yeah I meant jack supports less than 1k on empty trailer.

/ Gooseneck questions #8  
Upgrade axles???? What axles does it have now?? and as others mentioned, how much do you plan on towing?? (weight wise)

As to the jack...my 25' -24k GN has only 1. The only time I could see it being an issue is if unhooking loaded AND having an un-balanced load. I could see that being a bit akward.

/ Gooseneck questions #9  
Mine's only a 20' weighing 4000 lbs, but I had it built with 2 jacks and a tool box in the middle. 2 jacks allow me to keep the tractor on when I want, and it sits very stable. I'm even thinking during the winter, parking the loaded trailer under the shelter and blocking the back, jacking the front, and let it spend the winter like that. Just an idea....

/ Gooseneck questions #10  
Is this what you have, but with a single jack and 7K axles?
deckover-gn3.jpg deckover-gn1.jpg

MAXUM Deckover Gooseneck Trailer

I have a single jack on my trailer, never wished it was dual in the 7 years that I have owned it.