goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer #1  

bironacad

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 3045/2010
I am looking at getting my first trailer for hauling my compact. I have a 40' fifth wheel trailer that is good on the fifth wheel and was wondering if there is a disadvantage to just getting the trailer for my tractor with the tongue for the fifth wheel hitch?

My tow vehicle is a F350 dually with the fifth wheel and goose neck prep package.

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer #2  
You can lose some articulation with a fifth wheel if thats a concern. Why are you looking at a fifth wheel for a compact?

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer #3  
Articulation and bed rail clearance are the big concerns.

Chris

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer
Articulation and bed rail clearance are the big concerns.

Chris

I can turn my trailer at acute angles and I akready have the fiver hitch. Even though I have a prep for the goose neck ball I would have to buy and install the goose neck ball and chains. The hitch connections for my fiver hitch are below the bed giving me a clean bed when the hitch is removed.

You can lose some articulation with a fifth wheel if thats a concern. Why are you looking at a fifth wheel for a compact?

I am looking at purchasing a float for my tractor and can choose, bumper, goose or fifth wheel attachment. I have seen lots of goose necks and bumper pulls but not a fifth wheel float.

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer #6  
I can turn my trailer at acute angles and I akready have the fiver hitch. Even though I have a prep for the goose neck ball I would have to buy and install the goose neck ball and chains. The hitch connections for my fiver hitch are below the bed giving me a clean bed when the hitch is removed.

I have seen two trucks where the pin box got into the bed sidewalls doing thousands in damage. It would not have happened with a GN.

Chris

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer #7  
I am looking at purchasing a float for my tractor and can choose, bumper, goose or fifth wheel attachment. I have seen lots of goose necks and bumper pulls but not a fifth wheel float.

I don't believe I ever saw anyone pulling a flatbed with a fifth wheel except car haulers if that Counts. I'm still curious why your looking at a GN or fifth wheel for a compact tractor?

I don't believe I ever saw anyone pulling a flatbed with a fifth wheel except car haulers if that Counts. I'm still curious why your looking at a GN or fifth wheel for a compact tractor?

your right just came back from a trailer guy said the same

bumper pull with two seven k axles is what he suggested, go figure.

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer #9  
I'm not knocking a GN if you want one but it seems a little overkill to tote your tractor around was all I was thinking and I like overkill.

/ goose neck or fifth wheel hitch for trailer #10  
For me I would choose the goose neck over the bumper pull any day. I know a few people that have king pin adapters on there goose necks and really like them. They pull campers too and don't have to remove and replace the hitches all the time and a bit easier for them to see the hitch when hooking up. You can purchase a standard gooseneck trailer then replace the ball hitch with something like this.

Attachments

• image-1606498219.jpg
    image-1606498219.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 152