good tires for your truck

/ good tires for your truck #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I've been a reader of TireRack.com for many years and find their site remarkably helpful, even when I don't buy from them.
If you need an on road off road tire for your pickup, you will likely be surprised that the number two ranked truck tire
is made in South Korea. From the very good company with the strange name, Kumho. I put the Firestones on my Suburban and
am very happy with them, particularly when running at 70psi. And from my experience, the Firestones are slightly quieter than the number three
pick here, the Michelin, which I had on my prior truck, a Nissan Frontier.

Firestone Destination A/T 1 100% 8.5 8.7 8.8 8.7 9.2 8.8 8.8 8.5 7.7 8.8 8.7 8.6 24,491,770
Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 2 98% 8.0 8.5 8.6 8.5 9.1 8.5 8.7 8.5 7.6 8.9 8.7 8.4 1,649,146
Michelin LTX A/T 2 2 98% 8.0 8.7 8.8 8.5 9.1 8.5 8.5 8.2 7.7 8.7 8.6 8.8 9,657,678

well, that didn't work.
if you want to see the whole comparison: Consumer Survey Results By Category
At least Goodyear came in fourth. Only US company of the bunch. Firestone's profits go to Bridgestone in Japan, Kumho's to South Korea
and Michelin to France of course. One of the nice things about this site is that when you drill down to the specs, you can find the manufacturing country of origin.
So your Michelin might be built in the U.S. Every little bit helps.

I've always been a "car nut" and pay a lot of attention to tires. A couple of times I slipped or planed on OEM tires in the rain, which got the old ticker thumping, and it taught me to
do my research and get a better tire for the car or truck, and not wait two or three years of driving low quality oem tires. I also really don't like getting stuck in snow, was a fireman for too long
going out in the worst weather, and have pulled many, many cars out of a ditch simply because I had better tires on my vehicle. The other car was just going zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. And I pulled a lot out with a 2wd vehicle
too. Had four Goodyear snow tires on a rear drive Ford twenty+ years ago, with limited slip rear, and that thing was just unstoppable. I always got to the scene with it; back then we were all coming from different directions
and often went to the fire or accident directly. Now it's to the station first. Haven't been in the firehouse in a few years. A really fun memory, and good for training in high water, snow, ice, whatever.
All pretty irrelevant for your Aunt's Prius...she'll stay home.

I've never done any true offroading and likely won't. I just have fun going up a one mile dirt path to a friend's cabin in the Catskills, and have done that trip for forty years.
We don't go up when there's a foot of snow on the ground any more, we did that when we were younger, but it can get pretty wet and muddy and I am not walking up that hill.

For you guys in Texas, or Florida, your needs are different. Just lots of unbiased info here. Many of you know this site already, I'm just making a point about
how advanced South Korea's technology has come. You Kioti guys already know that, right?

/ good tires for your truck #2  
Cooper AT3's on 20" blinger wheels are exceeding any expectations for me...BFG AT-TA's are also excellent if you want to spend the money.

/ good tires for your truck #3  
For me the Hankook MT 03 are tough to beat for a Mud Tire. For performance vehicle's such as my BMW its Falken. For all around AT Tire Yokohama and Goodyear Dura Tracs are the best I have seen.

For trailers, which I deal a lot in, the Greenballs made in Korea out perform all others made anywhere including the junk Carlisle's and Goodyear Marathon's made here.

Chris

Last edited:
   / good tires for your truck #4  
General Grabber AT2's on my truck now, love them!

/ good tires for your truck #5  
Michelin LTX/at2 on my truck. They are great all around tires, but not good in mud.

/ good tires for your truck #6  
Use To buy Toyo's for my old Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 and also for my Drive and steer tires on my semi , but something about a " Import " tax on tires raised the prices of Toyo's up to the same as Michelin's so have been looking around at something different . Seen the kumho's there at tirerack and also was looking at the Falkens some were else for my dodge , just not in a big hurry yet as there is still half the tread depth left on the Dodge tires .

Fred H.

/ good tires for your truck #7  
my yota (which is setup for off-road) has worn a set of kuhmo's for the past....10 years (not the same set, but always kuhmo's) this is the current version of the MT which rocks!
ku_rd_venture_mt_kl71_ci2_l.jpg

/ good tires for your truck #8  
I've always had good luck with Michelin...

For my 14" dump trailer tires only Hankook had the proper load range tires... all the others no longer make them.

/ good tires for your truck #9  
-I buy Michelins and nothing else the ltx 10 ply tires ran for 80,000 miles on my gmc z-71 replaced them for about $900.00 . We tried the rest and most are all hype and no long term performance , low highway noise ,great traction and long life how do you argue with that ? if your price shopping go buy coopers and get what you pay for .

/ good tires for your truck #10  
ProComp A/T very similar to BF's but less $$

Can go to 80lbs