Good set of tools for the boy?

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Any one particular brand of tools out there now that you would stay away from?

My one boy enjoys working on his car when he can do the work himself, and he's always using something from my tool box.

Pricing can be all over the board when it comes to tool sets.

He'll be leaving home shortly for the military, and I'd like to get him something that will last him a good 20 years as a "going away present".

I have some Klein tools that have held up well over 2 decades, but I still remember how expensive they were. I'd like to get him something like 100-200 piece set that doesn't break the bank for more than $300 (or is that a pipe dream?) and can be stored easy.

Saw a nice tool box of Craftsman tools, but are they junk now? Seems like everything comes with a "lifetime" warranty, but sometimes that doesn't work out like you think it does when you have a issue.

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #2  
I have a lot of older Craftsman sockets and ratchets that are still working great after 20-30 years of normal homeowner/hobby/DIY use.
I also have a couple Husky sets, some just a year old and the bigger set is probably 15 years old and has been as durable.
All of them I think were reasonably priced especially when bought on sale or with store coupons.

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #3  
I picked up a great set of tools from a moving sale…

The seller was actually happy his tools were going to me and added a few power tools.

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #4  
Craigslist or Facebook marketplace is a great source for hand tools and toolboxes. Older craftsman tools are bulletproof, newer Chinese stuff not so much. I have craftsman set and toolbox I bought 30 years ago and use them weekly. Cracked one thinwall socket I over used...my fault. Garage/estate sales are a good source for older quality tools also.

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #5  
I have been collecting tools all my life and still don't have everything.. craftsman tools are very good.. but where do you stop.. how long is he gonna be in the military and where will he keep the tools.. I remember I had a good tool box in my truck but some one wanted them pretty bad and broke the vent window..another good source of tools are the pawn shops..you don't have to pay full price for good used tools. it takes a long time to get stuff.. screwdrivers,,pliers,,breaker bars,,wire strippers,,multi meter..wire cutters.. good luck...

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #6  
I bought this set a few months ago and like it for the money. Not a high quality set (Snap-on, MAC) but I like them, feel heavy and not cheap but I'm sure they are not US made. My only complaint is that they skip some sizes in the metric wrenches and sockets. For a $100 though I like them.
A review

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727-090404.png
    Screenshot_20230727-090404.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
   / Good set of tools for the boy? #7  
Harbor freight has really stepped up the game the last couple years. The downside is they really don’t have cases. The provided holders are garbage.

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #8  
Saw a nice tool box of Craftsman tools, but are they junk now? Seems like everything comes with a "lifetime" warranty, but sometimes that doesn't work out like you think it does when you have a issue.
Meh, I’d look at gearwrench, proto and sonic. Knipex an vise grip for pliers, wiha for screwdrivers A decent set of jewelers screwdrivers is nice to have to repair glasses and open electronic battery covers.

If he’s going in the army, I’m pretty sure they teach that everything can be fixed with a hammer, adjustable wrench and tanker bar. :giggle:

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #9  
Meh, I’d look at gearwrench, proto and sonic. Knipex an vise grip for pliers, wiha for screwdrivers A decent set of jewelers screwdrivers is nice to have to repair glasses and open electronic battery covers.

If he’s going in the army, I’m pretty sure they teach that everything can be fixed with a hammer, adjustable wrench and tanker bar. :giggle:
You have to mention channel locks.

/ Good set of tools for the boy? #10  
A lot of different sockets for $99, but the box is a bit bulky.

An easier case to haul around, but fewer sockets for $139: Amazon.com