Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Hey ya'll... I've been thinking about getting a pressure washer, mainly for using to wash off my equipment (mainly my Bobcat), but also for occasionally (like that ever happens) washing my truck, trailer, etc.

I had a troy-built pressure washer from one of the box stores and it ended up being a piece of junk. Won't even go there.

I don't need something to strip the paint and begin to cut into the metal of my Bobcat when I want to clean it. I don't mind buying used, in fact I'd almost rather buy a higher end used machine than something new and cheapo.

Looking on Craigslist I searched for "pressure washer honda" to see if there was anything available with a Honda engine, and I found a 2400 PSI Karcher that hasn't been used much with a 5.0HP Honda for $300. Does anyone know anything about this company and if thats a decent price? Any other reccomendations would be welcome as well. Definately want a gas, not electric, model.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #2  
Hey ya'll... I've been thinking about getting a pressure washer, mainly for using to wash off my equipment (mainly my Bobcat), but also for occasionally (like that ever happens) washing my truck, trailer, etc.

I had a troy-built pressure washer from one of the box stores and it ended up being a piece of junk. Won't even go there.

I don't need something to strip the paint and begin to cut into the metal of my Bobcat when I want to clean it. I don't mind buying used, in fact I'd almost rather buy a higher end used machine than something new and cheapo.

Looking on Craigslist I searched for "pressure washer honda" to see if there was anything available with a Honda engine, and I found a 2400 PSI Karcher that hasn't been used much with a 5.0HP Honda for $300. Does anyone know anything about this company and if thats a decent price? Any other reccomendations would be welcome as well. Definately want a gas, not electric, model.

I had a piece of equipment one time that was made by Karcher. I never could get warranty service and had two choices, one purchase the parts to repair the unit or sell. I could not force myself to purchase parts that should have been provided under warranty, so I sold.

I know you stated you had a problem with a Box Store item, but Lowes sells two unit bearing the John Deere label. Both are impressive looking machine you may want to look at the features on the two machine prior to purchasing used. If somone operated the unit without sufficient water pressure or no water pressure the pump could be damaged. Pump repair or replacement can get expensive in a hurry.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #3  
I have a Honda powered Karcher that has given me good service over 6-7 years. I got it at Costco for about $400 new. Don't remember the HP. I change the oil about every year, and I don't think I put more than 20-25 hours per year on it.

Cleaning equipment with a pressure washer is not as much fun as one might think. Every time you spray high velocity water into a corner it comes straight back at you. But it is now dirty water.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #4  
I've got a Coleman Powermate with a 5.5hp Honda and a Giant pump, 2.3gph/2500psi. I've used it quite a bit... no complaints about it, other than every once in a while, I just wish I had a bigger one... but for 95% of my jobs, it gets 'er did just fine. The Honda usually starts on the first pull, and always on the 2nd pull. I have had to replace the valves in the pump once already, a $10 fix.

I'd recommend anything with a Honda GX engine and if you can find one, a CAT pump. The brand name (Coleman, John Deere, whatever) doesn't mean anything... just look for Honda engine, CAT pump. Northern Tools would be a good place to start looking. The AR pumps, Comet pumps, and others are probably good too, but I've never heard anything bad about the CAT pumps... supposed to be the best, and made in USA to boot.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #5  
Why not electric If I may ask?? I use a 1500 psi unit on my tractor and love it,, Kinda slow stripping the deck every year but for cleaning without tearing the hoses off my tractor it works great..

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #6  
Karcher is probably the nr1 in europe. No idea how widespread in the US but i would expect their dealer/support network to be decent.

1 advise.

The top end home-owner level washer will not compare to the low end pro-level. BESIDES presure you need flow. People tend to fix on the psi while that gives you no reference.

My low end pro karcher has 40 bar les pressure than my fathers high end home user washer. It has 50% more flow and the difference in reality are stunning. Cleaning pavement i simply cover more tham double the surfrace.
And you can draw this line with all activities.

Pro-tools you dont find at box stores but only at dedicated Karcher dealer centers. Although targetted at B2B they will be happy to help out a home owner also.

1 disadvantage is that all connectors and accesoiries have different couplings and cost double compared to the home owner line. But they are made better.

a 300$ gas powered Karcher is or a defect or a typing mistake. If it works and you can get it, i would go for it. My electrical pro was 900$...

:)

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #7  
Mine is from Costco, but I can't think of the brand right now. It's nothing fancy and I rarely use it. Everything that I've heard about them and have seen first hand is that they cause more damage then they are worth. On equipemnt, they force water into your seals, which isn't all that big a deal if you grease it right away. I've been told that if they are strong enough, they can cause some damage to the seals. The same is also possible with other components on your equipment. My dad used it to clean off some hydraulic oil that sprayed onto the backhoe when a hose broke. He took the finish off of the fenders.

On homes, they are very damaging. I know you didn't mention using it on a house, but if anybody else is using one to clean their house, be very careful. They force water into areas that take months to dry. They take off paint, go through caulking and will blow out mortar. About the worse thing you can do is to pressure wash a house just before painting it. This Old House did an episode that showed how much water was forced into the wood, as well as areas behind and under the wood. Painting over these wet areas locks in the water and leads to rot and mold. Plus the paint will fail prematurely in those wet areas.

I like pressure washers for decks, sidewalks and my dump truck bed. Otherwise, it's just not worth the risk of using one.

For most cleaning, the right chemicals, a good brush and a garden hose is more then enough.

Eddie

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #8  
I had bought a Karcher from Costco, but took the piece of junk back and bought one from Northern tools, it wasn't the Honda one.
My prime uses are cleaning the deck, the driveway and vinyl siding. Once I start getting my tractor dirty I plan to use it for the wheels and buckets (not the cylinders).

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #9  
I had bought a Karcher from Costco, but took the piece of junk back and bought one from Northern tools, it wasn't the Honda one.
My prime uses are cleaning the deck, the driveway and vinyl siding. Once I start getting my tractor dirty I plan to use it for the wheels and buckets (not the cylinders).

Bought a Homelite (end of model Ryobi that was rebadged.) 7HP 3100 PSI gas Subaru for only $299.... Yes $299 :)!! Needless to say they were not on the shelf long. Works great, runs so smooth!! I was at Homedepot for something else completely unrelated when I saw them, had to ask what was wrong here, guy sais end of model and you better get it while the getting is good, so we did!!

Do not regret it for a second.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #10  

I have the exact unit you are talking and about and have had it for 3 years. It has worked very well. It comes with a variety of nozzels, from one you could cut with, to one that just puts soap on what you want to clean. I would certainly recommend it. I can't remember how much I paid for it.