Good ole Ebay

/ Good ole Ebay #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Yesterday I bought a Delta 22-560 thickness planer on Ebay. This is the 12.5" x 6" one that sells for $300.00. I got it last minute at the reserve price of $150.00. With shipping it was 169.00 delivered. The gentleman bought it to do a project on his house and didn't need it anymore. I needed one to plane down a ton of 1" pine that I will be using to restore the old farm house next year. Sometimes Ebay delivers pretty good. I also have bids on a few other tools that I need. Hopefully they will come to papa also.

/ Good ole Ebay #2  
I have had 3 Delta planers, the first 2 were returned under warrantee within 30 days. Both self destructed after only a few hours of work, (spread over 2 - 3 weeks).

I too bought it to plane some 5/4 and 4/4 pine. Don't let the machine get too hot, or the drive belt will literally melt. Wear hearing protection because it's a screamer.

The 3rd machine has less than 1000 board feet of usage and it's also making noises. When this one blows up I'm going to splurge and get a real deal, 240v commercial model.

/ Good ole Ebay
Now that is not good news. Which model do you own? I know a few others that have this model and have had no problems with them. I have heard that the cheaper 12" model has had problems. I think it is the TP300 unit.

/ Good ole Ebay #4  
I had a Delta 22-560 and ran lots of boards through it with no problems.

The trick is to not try to take to deep a cut at once. If would run the boards through it several times if I needed to remove 1/8' to 1/4".

The other thing to watch for is nails in used boards. A nail will put a big notch in the planer blade every time.

Also, vary the path you use the put the boards through from side to side to wear the blade evenly.

Finally, buy a couple of the roller stands to put on either side of the planer so you are not trying to balance the board by hand. Doing it by hand will invariable cause you to gouge the board in spots.

Used mine when remodeling our house and then sold it to a carpenter for 1/2 of what I paid for it. Great machine and you should have no trouble if you follow the above hints.

Just be prepared for lots of sawdust. I used painter's plastic to lay in front of mine. The sawdust would pile up and I could pull the corners of the plastic together to make a huge bag of sawdust. You can buy painter's plastic at the paint store. It is real thin plastic that comes in 8' and 12' wide rolls about 400' long for less than $25. It is for one time use and very handy stuff.

Bill Tolle

/ Good ole Ebay
Thanks for the advice Bill. I already have two sets of roller stands that I use with my radial arm saw. I know these kick up a lot of chips. There is a dust collector available that sells for under $20.00. I may invest in that if I plan on using the planer in the barn. I have mostly 12" x 12' boards to plane down that are rough cut. I can't wait o have fun with it next week. I need to do about 1000 board feet for siding for the old homestead I am fixing up. The garage /shed area has to be re-sided. Winter projects are looming for me.

/ Good ole Ebay
The Ebay bought Delta Planer showed up today and I got to use it right away. I planed down some 1" x 12" x 12' pine boards. This unit works great and was a good investment. Even the wife agreed after she saw what I had done with it. The chips were not too bad either.

/ Good ole Ebay #7  
I bought one of those chip collector hoods for my Delta but even my 16 gallon shop vac was not enough to make it work right. I think you need a high volume shop collection system to use the hood. I wouldn't waste the $20 unless you have a dust collection system in your shop.

I gave up and just used the painters plastic to catch most of it.

Have fun with your new toy, er tool!

Bill Tolle

/ Good ole Ebay
Thanks for the update on the hood. I do have a Delta 1.5 HP dust collector that will work with this unit. I use it in my garage down the street for buffing work. I guess I could use a Shop Vac for that and move the Delta to the barn next door. Or, I could look around for another one for the barn. I think your idea of plastic is the way to go for right now. The wife would like me to cut back a bit on spending if possible.