Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #187,031  
I have resisted the cruise ship trips so far. On one hand it should be relaxing. On the other hand who could relax on that ship in the middle of nowhere?

Glad you had a good trip!
You don't have to worry about driving, food, entertainment or where you will be spending the night.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,032  
Good Evening RS,

RS, I have to agree with that statement! Remove the engine to adjust the valves !
Sounds crazy, so much for good engineering practices !

Just a bit ...

I've been searching online a little and so far no one mentioning it as an issue.

Hard to imagine that folks wouldn't be complaining about the additional hundreds of $$$ in cost to do what should be a simple check and adjustment of the valves.

That's even less reassuring ... because it makes me wonder if the guys servicing it are coming up with some sort of "unusual solution" ...

Good luck with all of that !

Appreciated.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,033  
Good evening all. 46ºF for the start, partly cloudy, light breeze. Light wind, Variable cloudiness till late afternoon the overcast, high temp was 76ºF. make coffee to start day, Men's Meeting, putter, bike ride, nap, dinner with the group. 1/2 inch rain in forecast for tomorrow. and we can use it. Trees are budding and pollen counts are reflecting that fact.
Bill sorry about the sump pump failure. Good to hear you have the failure covered already.
David hope you don't have to wait long to try new beans.
David sorry to hear about the health issue of Simba. Glad easy to get CO2 bottle recertified.
Buppies nice spring is showing. prayers sent. Hope you are getting enough sleep.
Ron hope the paper cleanup progressed well. pretty feeder pic
Bill thanks for the cat story. Hope you can work out issues with oil delivery. Hope electrical work and waxing went well. Sorry new keyboard doesn't spell any better, but any keyboard I have used has same issue.
Kilroy glad work is going well, glad you got a breather. Making candle with the tallow?
Mike sorry about all the rain, this summer it will be where's the rain?
Don glad you got a taste of the cold front, have another one on Friday.
drew hope everything ready and good trip.
Ken sorry no painting in the rain. neat pic
Frits glad spring is showing up. Glad plow comes off easy.
Plowhog No clue what to pay him, hard to gauge how productive he will be, Start low and bump up as his output improves.
Thomas enjoy the easy day.
RNG glad you caught part of the launch. Hope you can see a launch from better viewpoint. 5 days usual incubation, can be day or 2 longer. The joys of living at 2 places.
Dennis hope eye appt goes well. Hope you have vale and no issues during replacement.
Paul glad new puller works. Sorry and the hand carry of the feed bags, I can't carry what I could as a young man either :(. Hope you can make the trip to Martha's Vineyard. That's a big dog.
Gstrom sorry for the dog's health issue. Enjoy the time you have left.
David nice snow Mauna Kea.
Dennis glad eye appointment went well. Had not hear of machine to rake pic of eye. Glad fill valve replaced, no problems
Scott(vt) hope you didn't get too much rain while working.
RS glad you got the Menards run accomplished. Sorry about lousy maintenance quote. My experience with valve on motorcycles was once the clearance quit moving, they are good for long time.
Randy(wag) sorry about the heat wave, inside during peak heat works for me :)
Scott(vt) Kawasaki used changing shim system to adjust valve clearance. On some models shim was underneath a bucket or cup requiring camshaft removal to remove the bucket and change the shim.
Drew had a '71 Vega, don't remember that. However since only 4 cylinder available from factory, lot of folks stuffed bigger engines, with predictable results.
Kyle hope you can get the plasma table back from the dead. Always good to get questions during presentations.
prayer for all, especially Jay/Peg, Kyle /Daughter, /mom's breathing, /son's migraines, Bird /aging issues, Ron /heart, Billy /mom hypertension & congestive heart failure, David(moss) /remodel, /divorce, Buppies /cancer, parathyroid,blood sugar /wife healing, Thomas /gout, Phil /reflux, Frits /veteran son with mental issues, /granddaughter with Evans Syndrome, Ken /dad possible dementia, /chronic fatigue, Diet not working, Steppenwolfe /son-auto immune disorder, Grev /wife's eye, Ted /knee recovery, /retirement & disability red tape, /family issues, Lou /eye issues, /heart issues, /wife hip replacement, Doug and wife/health issues, / hand nerve and surgery, /fall and recovery, / wife headaches and heart eval, / David(sadamo)/Sophie's hip or leg pain, Scaredy/shoulder dislocation, /marriage dissolving, / friend stop drinking, Dennis /retirement, /neighbor issues, /land development, /favorable winds not in the forecast there, /dad surgery recovery, Drew /back operation issues, /friend's wife cancer diagnosis and recovery, Scotty /back pain, Helogabals /wife's friend situation, Fatjay /father broken hip, Israel, Ukraine war, and Country.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,034  

What is a good pay rate, per day or per week, for a 17 year old? If I make an offer to him, I'd like to be a bit on the generous side. But I have no idea what $$$ that might be?

No clue as to fair rate your area, but suggest you look total picture. Living with you, food, trans, other expenses? Discuss his expectations both in terms of hours, commitment to learning different things. What he thinks is fair. I would aim for a win win, he learns, earns, you get stuff done and satisfaction of passing value to younger generation. Might have to consider the legal aspects of compensation (or not).

/ Good morning!!!! #187,037  
rs, you would probably be more qualified to adjust your valves, than the kid they hand it to. just saying...

Yes ... assuming that they are actually having "a kid" adjust it.

But looking at a staff photo of the shop it doesn't seem likely.

FWIW, I've had a look at several YouTubes that show the back of the machine and it seems like the valve covers should be easy to get to. The valve covers are each held on by 4 Torx bolts ... can't imagine that it could be a problem.

Other than maybe getting a torque wrench down in there to tighten things once the adjustment is complete.

I looked over the procedure for adjusting the valves in the Kohler Service Manual. Seems pretty straightforward, outside of ensuring you're at TDC on No. 1 before you start:

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 01.14.17.png

Did do some checking and found out that the Hydro Gear service kit for the hydros is $94.57 on Amazon:

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 23.47.37.png

While that's kinda pricey for 2 filters and 5 quarts of oil and some assorted tubing and fittings the total of $277 - $100 for pick up and drop off = $177 for parts and labor on the hydros doesn't seem unreasonable to me ... though I'm guessing that I will probably doing it myself next time as it looks pretty easy ... ;)

/ Good morning!!!! #187,038  
Good morning !

Rather cool - 5 C / 23 F, in some areas even -9 C / 16F. But still dry and sunny
Here the pollen problem have started, not for me / family. But secretary have issues

Was rather busy days. Had few interesting meetings, new customers reached me out. Not bad

Have made annual inspection for car. Here new cars have to go trough that second and then fourth year. Then fifth and every next year. So this means I have that Tesla 4 years already. Want to change, but cant figure out to what
For sure I will stick with electric
Mod Y. Nice car. But wife already have that. I want try another. And frankly I am not enthusiast of SUV. I like extremes - or nice sedan or really big gangwagon
Mod S - bloody expensive. But some good deal on demo could squeeze trough
New 3 (Highland), I mean it's still not a thing in US. Could be an option. But I already have mod 3...
KIA EV9. A bit pricey, but big and 6 or 7 seater. But that is only KIA 😁
🤯

/ Good morning!!!! #187,040  
Drinking first cup of coffee. 35° with cloudy skies this morning. Heading to 50° with partly cloudy skies. Put new foot pads on both tractors HST pedals. Also replaced floor pads. Did a walk around back of my property. Always a fun walk. Sassy has to check out everything along the paths. Grocery shopping this morning. Then clean up barns. Lots of mud has collected on floors.
MOAoBup.jpg

Drew, have a safe trip today.

Everyone stay well and safe.

Good Morning All.