Good Maul

/ Good Maul #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
I totally lost the "firewood for fun and exercise" thread, and wanted to post a photo of my splitting maul. It is 6 lb., fiberglass handle, and really never gets stuck in a split. All it took was a little kick in the casting on one side. I've never found another like it.

20220203_161902[1].jpg

/ Good Maul #2  
I’ve been waiting for my new Fisker splitting axe to get here. Should arrive Monday. It’s about 6lbs.
Their maul is over 10lbs. The maul has something in the handle to reduce vibration fatigue. Not sure I could swing it long enough to get that kind of fatigue. 10lb over head swings get real heavy real fast, for me. I have a HF manual hydraulic splitter. It’s quite a bit slower than axe splitting. It stopped working and I haven’t taken the time to diagnose the problem yet.
1644087741894.jpeg

/ Good Maul #3  
I totally lost the "firewood for fun and exercise" thread, and wanted to post a photo of my splitting maul. It is 6 lb., fiberglass handle, and really never gets stuck in a split. All it took was a little kick in the casting on one side. I've never found another like it.

View attachment 732364
My Brother in law had one that looked the same as your's. He would brag about it not getting stuck in a split.

Last edited:
   / Good Maul #4  
How do you keep from breaking the handle? I've had several mauls and a couple sledge hammers over the years, and they always seem to crack and lose the heads. Finding a wooden replacement handle is like lookjng for the Holy Grail, while a replacement fiberglass handle costs nearly as much as a new maul.

/ Good Maul #5  
How do you keep from breaking the handle? I've had several mauls and a couple sledge hammers over the years, and they always seem to crack and lose the heads. Finding a wooden replacement handle is like lookjng for the Holy Grail, while a replacement fiberglass handle costs nearly as much as a new maul.
My kid is slowly beating up our wooden handle maul. It’s not broke yet……

/ Good Maul #6  
I’m probably breaking the rules again.
These work great for saving sledge hammer handles. Should work for a maul too.
If someone gets mad about Amazon pic, just say so and I’ll delete. :) No need to contact moderator.
1644095592294.png

/ Good Maul #7  
personally i can’t stand fibreglass handles it’s too flimsy i have two style of splitting axe one your stile and the other one is a more traditional axe old style … and i’ve put a rectangle 1” x 1” c 3.5 ish and it help a lot … i use both depending on the situation

/ Good Maul #8  
I’m probably breaking the rules again.
These work great for saving sledge hammer handles. Should work for a maul too.
If someone gets mad about Amazon pic, just say so and I’ll delete. :) No need to contact moderator.
View attachment 732379
They don't work very well on fiberglass handles though. My problem with them has never been overswing; rather, the plastic sleeve which the handle goes into tends to shatter and break.

/ Good Maul
I just stand far enough back that if I miss I miss to the near side. After 25 years with this maul, I'm pretty good at judging distance. In fact, I have a variety of axes and mauls and none of them have the handle beat up. I wasn't so skilled 50 years ago.

/ Good Maul #10  
I’ve been waiting for my new Fisker splitting axe to get here. Should arrive Monday. It’s about 6lbs.
Their maul is over 10lbs. The maul has something in the handle to reduce vibration fatigue. Not sure I could swing it long enough to get that kind of fatigue. 10lb over head swings get real heavy real fast, for me. I have a HF manual hydraulic splitter. It’s quite a bit slower than axe splitting. It stopped working and I haven’t taken the time to diagnose the problem yet.
View attachment 732365

These are incredible! I was pretty skeptical, but it has split everything I have asked it to.