Good Gloves?

/ Good Gloves? #81  
Splitting firewood; the tan milsurp gloves have held up the best. Skidding or Yarding logs; Red Ox gloves are good (after the 1st wash).

Edit: tan gloves are M1950 Viet Nam era; we were issued them for fast roping & rappeling. The best deal I can find is only size 4 for $8.00 + S/H at a surplus store in Idaho.

Last edited:
   / Good Gloves? #82  
I've found if I wear heavy work gloves I'm always taking them on and off to do tedious work. So I switched over to fairly cheap lightweight mechanic type gloves. I buy them almost in bulk I always have a stack of them. When they get holes or too dirty I toss them.
I hear ya. I'm always doing the same, especially if doing something that requires some dexterity. I'll have to look into mechanic gloves.
Not sure it the ones at Harbor Freight ware the same as you are talking about but the HF gloves like you describe, rubberized palm and fingers, are only about $2 a pair on sale and they are on sale frequently. I have some of them.
Is that something new? I have several of the HF cotton gloves, but they're not rubberized. Good enough if you're just doing something dirty or to keep your hands warm-ish, but useless if trying to use tools...they just slip out of your grip wearing them.

/ Good Gloves?
Is that something new? I have several of the HF cotton gloves, but they're not rubberized. Good enough if you're just doing something dirty or to keep your hands warm-ish, but useless if trying to use tools...they just slip out of your grip wearing them.
I'll have to look at the actual name but I see them everywhere at HF. In the glove rack and one every other shelf, it seems, by the register, etc!

/ Good Gloves? #85  
   / Good Gloves? #86  
   / Good Gloves? #87  
HF offers their own brand leather welding gloves (gauntlet), which is what I use. For years, they fit fine. Then HF changed the manufacturer or form, and suddenly the "one size fits no-one", didn't fit me either. But the local store must have found some in the back, and suddenly they had the old style hanging on the peg. I bought 12 pair, which I think will last until my demise - see below.
While fighting with HF over their "newer and better" junk, I ordered 15 pair of goat gauntlet gloves from someplace in Houston. Great for "feel", and the goat lasts a long time. Unfortunately, the Pakistani manufacturer goes cheap on the thread, and that's what gives way - seams seems (I couldn't resist that) always in the left hand (I'm right handed). I just resew the seams, and keep on going. Haven't worn out the first pair yet, and it's been 2 years warm weather wear. I wear the HF in cold weather.

/ Good Gloves? #88  
There are several threads on gloves
BUT

Yup, about the only inexpensive leather glove that fits my left hand. I've probably 20 pair somewhere and have only totally worn out maybe 3 pair in the last 10 years. They were my "go to" glove for years, but don't work well with concrete. I like to use them as driving gloves.

They are also on Amazon SHOWA Atlas 3 Fit Palm Coating Natural Rubber Glove, Blue, X-Large (Pack of 12 Pairs): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I've bought a 12 pack of blue and a 12 pack of Grey (insulated), a little over $2/pair.

I also have many boxes of nitrile "disposable" gloves, from 3 mil for handling Habaneros, to 9 mil (90 gloves for $15) for changing oil etc. I don't like soaking my expensive $2 gloves in motor oil :)
Well a little update on the low end gloves.
I still have a bunch of the Showa Atlas 300, but the price has crept up so I decided to try the Amazon Basics when they were $7.22 a dozen and the Atlas 300's were not available. Not bad for that price, virtually throw away.
But I notice the 12 pack XXL are not available and the 6 pack costs $7.69!

/ Good Gloves? #89  
These rubberized ones seem to have high ratings.

I use those everyday at work. They are great gloves for fine light work. How ever they wont last if your doing any handling of rough items like firewood or sharp metal. They also make a maxidry that are a bit waterproof.

/ Good Gloves?
Well a little update on the low end gloves.
I still have a bunch of the Showa Atlas 300, but the price has crept up so I decided to try the Amazon Basics when they were $7.22 a dozen and the Atlas 300's were not available. Not bad for that price, virtually throw away.
But I notice the 12 pack XXL are not available and the 6 pack costs $7.69!

To me, gloves are consumable items. I need multiple kinds of gloves because I do more than one thing all the time. Some will be more expensive. Some will be cheap. just the way things are. Aren’t we lucky to have so many choices?