Good for a Laugh, B7200 Kubota

/ Good for a Laugh, B7200 Kubota #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
So here is the story to put a smile on.

I'm just in from the shop. Messing around with that B7200. There are always surprises when you purchase something unknown.

The engine on this machine didn't run right, and as it was picked up far from home I wasn't too curious about the condition. I wanted the snow blower, and the tractor came along in the package. ;-)

After yesterday trying to get things sorted, I was a bit disheartened at the lack of progress towards getting the tractor to run right. The injectors were removed disassembled and cleaned in the Ultra sonic tank. The aluminum sealing washers were shot on the injectors, and I knew I could never know the entire picture regarding fuel delivery until the system was sealed. I took a spin up to the Kubota dealer, (35 miles one way) It was a great day for a motorbike ride ;-)

Well, with the new sealing washers installed, there was no improvement. Still no fire on the middle cylinder. CRAP! Something else!?
I would want the fuel system to be right if I were going to toss a bunch of time and money into the other stuff, so I started looking for pump rebuilders etc. But I also wanted to be clear about any engine deficiency.

I went over to my FLAR, Friendly Loacal Auto Repair (who happens to be "the kid next door", all grown up now.) I need an inspection on the RX-7 sports car, so while I was making the appointment I asked his opinion on the 7200 issues. He suggested a look see under the valve cover, but also loaned out his Diesel compression test kit. I was eager to do more trouble shooting.

Well, wouldn't you know, that D950 engine fitted to the B7200 does not have access to remove the glow plugs without removing the intake manifold. The compression check kit didn't have a fitting to go in the injector hole either. No big deal, just more to do. Resolved to do what it took, Off came the intake manifold.

Now comes the smile part ;-)

With the manifold off, the middle cylinder inlet port had a SHOP RAG stuffed into it! ;-)))

The rag had made it in past the valve seat a bit, but not really "sucked down". I motored the starter with the decompression lifter set while giving a steady but not to strong a pull on the rag.

It came out eventually. I took a careful look inside the port to make sure things were clean. 'Observed the valve action (on all pots) while motoring the engine. I then removed the exhaust manifold to double check the other side. "Just in case". All good to go! Everything was put back to right, The fuel lines bled and the engine popped off with no need of glow preheat.

The thing is running sweet as a kitten! It's so nice not to be blowing white smoke constantly and having full power restored.

There is just a small "murmur". at high idle. I'm sure the pump and injectors could be better. But TODAY, I'm a happy camper!

Two days of lost efforts for a rag sucked down the hole. I wonder who?////

There are a lot of old parts in that fuel system! If I just want to spruce up that "murmur", I'll revisit the pump rebuild and injector calibration. For the immediate time, I think I will test out the other functions and overall operation of this B7200 before moving on the fuel delivery.

Anyone care to suggest "good practices" associated with bringing a long neglected Diesel engine fuel system back to use? Any "additives" that do anything? I do use Power Service all winter in the other diesel tractor. The other two are gas, and have their own requirements. ;-)

/ Good for a Laugh, B7200 Kubota #2  
Very interesting some poor man somewhere is still looking for his shop rag. LOL We overhauled a GM
4-53 and upon leaving for the nite someone put a rag in one of the open ports to keep things clean.Well
now don't ya know another person came along didn't see the rag and inserted a second one. Next AM
came in and took out a rag but not the first on as it was pushed a ways into the hole,put everything together and ran but soon no or very low oil pressure. Took things apart and found oil filter screen
covered with fine cotton,the rag was caught in the timing gears and ground up and found it's way to the sump good thing no damage except for ego's so crap can happen,funny now several decades later but
not back then.