Good battery cable ends?

/ Good battery cable ends? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Anyone got any good links or suggestions for good battery cable ends.

I am not really fond of the cheap lead replacement type that have the little metal strap. The cable never seems to hold tight in them, and after one or two uses, its seems impossible and almost pointless to try to tighten it to the post of the battery. Usually just twist and push on til snug and call it good.

I am looking for something better, specifically for larger gauge cables. I need to re-make the cables for the backhoe, and have a few short lengths of 4/0 welder type cable I plan on using. Looking for the best solution to attach it to the 4d battery posts.

/ Good battery cable ends? #2  
Harbor Freight has solid copper with about .100 wall thickness. Do you have an OTR truck facility around? They make up cables for OTR trucks (and anything else) and have all the heavy duty cables, connectors, and cheap heavy duty batteries.

/ Good battery cable ends?
Already have the cable and battery and eyes. Just looking for two ends that connect to the battery.

/ Good battery cable ends? #4  

I am not really fond of the cheap lead replacement type that have the little metal strap. The cable never seems to hold tight in them, and after one or two uses, its seems impossible and almost pointless to try to tighten it to the post of the battery. Usually just twist and push on til snug and call it good.

I am looking for something better, specifically for larger gauge cables. I need to re-make the cables for the backhoe, and have a few short lengths of 4/0 welder type cable I plan on using. Looking for the best solution to attach it to the 4d battery posts.

at work we use 2 types.

1 type have these ?plated ? silver color ends, and you have a lever operated swage tool. you clean and bare the wire, choose the # end based on conductor size, slide it in, set it in the swage and crimp it. it does a 3 section collet crimp with a roll at the 'open' end' to really bite.

that of course came as a kit where you buy the manual crimp lever, and then packs of ends. I have seen 2 other versions of that kit that uses a vice to run the crimp dies, and another one that you smack with a hammer to crimp. looks like all work... I do believe the hand lever tool ( mounts to a sturdy platform.. etc. ) was the more spendy of the 3.

The other option we do is use ? bronze? ends and solder plugs and then tin the cable , slip a solder plug in the pot on the bronze end.. hit it with a torch till liquid, and then join.

Takes someone who has at least a bit of torch experience, or plumbing experience, otherwise you burn the insulation.

/ Good battery cable ends? #5  

at work we use 2 types.

1 type have these ?plated ? silver color ends, and you have a lever operated swage tool. you clean and bare the wire, choose the # end based on conductor size, slide it in, set it in the swage and crimp it. it does a 3 section collet crimp with a roll at the 'open' end' to really bite.

that of course came as a kit where you buy the manual crimp lever, and then packs of ends. I have seen 2 other versions of that kit that uses a vice to run the crimp dies, and another one that you smack with a hammer to crimp. looks like all work... I do believe the hand lever tool ( mounts to a sturdy platform.. etc. ) was the more spendy of the 3.

The other option we do is use ? bronze? ends and solder plugs and then tin the cable , slip a solder plug in the pot on the bronze end.. hit it with a torch till liquid, and then join.

Takes someone who has at least a bit of torch experience, or plumbing experience, otherwise you burn the insulation.

/ Good battery cable ends? #6  
If you have a battery shop around, I bet they’d be willing to crimp on some good industrial ends for you.

/ Good battery cable ends? #7  
Good crimping tools can be pretty expensive to buy. My buddy bought an anvil type crimper for use down at motorcycle shop.

Take a look at Del City for some different lug options. There is solderable too. I have the OEM style ones they list on my Durango I don't like them much. I did put old style on my tractor battery leads when I replaced the battery recently (mostly because I had some on hand)

Battery Terminals

Battery Lugs, Battery Cable Ends, & Cable Crimping Tools

Battery Cable Crimping Tools

/ Good battery cable ends? #9  
Try an Interstate battery store or a West Marine store, they should have crimpers on site.

/ Good battery cable ends? #10  
I like these:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

All you need to do is strip the insulation, slip the connector on and tighten with a wrench.