Going to look at a JD301a

/ Going to look at a JD301a #1  

Farmer John15

Tractor
none
What do you guys think about this? It has a bucket and a box blade. It's diesel 47hp I believe. He's asking $6200 plus $400 for the box blade. I'm hoping I can get it for $5k even. It looks good in the pics. It's a 1980 model year. The only thing I question is the loader attachment is like a dark blue/black color. Not sure if it just got taken from a different tractor or what. Can you do that? Is this a good tractor? Looks like it can lift 2000 pounds at the pin. That's good enough for me. Seems like more of a tractor than these little b2500 kubotas I see that are brand new.

/ Going to look at a JD301a
Or is this a fairly small tractor? Also is this considered an industrial type tractor that the government purchased? How come it's yellow and not green?

/ Going to look at a JD301a #4  
JD 300 is the industrial counterpart to a JD 1020. Factory frt end loader should be ind yellow in color. Loader spec's would be dependent on model of loader with ind loader likely having higher spec's. I'll suggest to check operation oh hyd system with engine at normal operating temp.(190-200°F). Be sure hyd isn't milky colored which indicates presence of water.

1614781052225.png

So what kind of loader attachment is this? See how the paint looks fairly fresh compared to the rest of the machine?

/ Going to look at a JD301a #7  
This tractor should move a 7000lb trailer around your property just fine. Recommend a 3pt hitch towing assembly for that job. Some owners weld a tow ball onto the loader bucket and move trailers around that way. I recommend just going for the 3pt hitch towing assembly.

I would not be concerned about the loader paint being different color, it should not be an issue. Do a good visual check on all loader mounting points, to insure all bracket welds look strong, all bolts appear solid and without rust. Make sure the loader has been properly maintained and greased over its life. Check engine and hydraulic fluid oil levels and look at quality of the oils. Run the machine for 15 minutes to insure both the loader and 3pt moves and works properly as it should. Look hard for any leaking axle seals.

If you do purchase this tractor, recommend full replacement of all fluids and filters, grease everything yourself to insure its been done.

Last edited:
   / Going to look at a JD301a #8  
FEL in photo isn't a JD. Boom appears that it may have been repaired,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-03 123526.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-03 123526.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 109
Which one do you think its from? Is this a problem or are tractors designed to use different brand booms. Also is that repair a problem?

/ Going to look at a JD301a #10  
Yes tractors will accept several different brand FEL's. The most important thing is for loader valve to be set up for closed center hyd's such as 301A has. I would need a closeup photo of boom repair to comment any further. Hyd valve hose in photo below should be attached to hyd filter cover(2nd photo) for optimum loader operation.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-03 160430.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-03 160430.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Annotation 2019-12-10 051225.png
    Annotation 2019-12-10 051225.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 101