Going slow

/ Going slow #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I usually drive my 6520 around my place in 3rd gear mid range (7th) and now it seems like I have the brake on, but the park brake is off. To take off in 7th, I need over 1500 rpm. Now, 1st gear mid range (4th) is taking more rpm to "get up and go". Any ideas?:confused2: I have shifted down into low range, so the range shifter is working. I have not tried high range in a while.
hugs, Brandi

/ Going slow #3  
4x4 engaged / binding ?

/ Going slow #4  
A remote stuck ON causing a constant hydraulic load? :confused3: BTW it looks like 7th ratio should be 1st in hi range.
larry

/ Going slow
Larry,
1st in high range is 9th gear. 4 gears and 3 ranges....low, middle, and high =12 speed. I can't see how hyd. flow would make going, slow. Was hauling dirt from the pond spoils pile and the loader worked fine while moving.

KTWO,
I will try shifting between 2 & 4WD next chance I get.

Bob77064,
Been hauling dirt......it's not an air pressure issue. But maybe I need to let the summer air out and put in winter air:laughing:;).
hugs, Brandi

/ Going slow #6  
Brandi,
I think what you are saying is that your tractor is lacking for power and you have to move to a lower gear to compensate. As Larry said about the hydraulics, a customer of mine was complaining about power, and when I got there I found the customer had attached a 3PH backhoe, and the backhoe was running off of the remotes. The problem he had was he had the position control lever in the up position and the 3PH was trying to lift the backhoe and ofcourse couldn't. So the hyd pump was working and robbing the tractor power. I simply put the position control lever down and locked it there and his power problem was solved. This is what Larry was getting at, could your hyd pump be working against a closed remote.

/ Going slow
Galen,
I just took a look at what you mentioned. 3PH arms were down. I released the remote that powers the BH and played with the position and draft controls. 3PH arms moved correctly. Then I reengaged the BH remote detent and raised the tractor off the ground with the BH and loader. After I turned the tractor off, I rotated each tire by hand. This seemed normal. Then I cranked it up and put it in 7th gear in 2WD. Nothing odd. Then I shifted into 4WD and let all 4 tires spin. Again, nothing odd. Then I lowered her and drove in 2WD, then back to 4WD. She seemed to start rolling easier than yesterday, but still seems to lack "zip" from what I remember. I could take off in 7th with less than 1500 rpm today. Starting up an incline, it is more noticeable. Next weekend I will check front axle fluid and wheel hub fluids. Xmission fluid was checked yesterday and was OK.
So, I will fly it and watch it. I will pick the ex-service manager (lots of service experience) and ex-salesman's (they started a non Mahindra shop) brains and also the dealer's current "new-to-me" mechanic, as the mechanic that I knew since I bought the Big RED Beast has retired.:(
Thanks everyone for your input. If you think it might help........please reply!:thumbsup:
Oh yeah.........at idle........BH moves at normal speed. Loader does also.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Going slow #8  
How is your fuel filter?? A partially plugged filter will cause loss of power but still allow lower fuel demand applications to work normally.
Cam

/ Going slow
How is your fuel filter?? A partially plugged filter will cause loss of power but still allow lower fuel demand applications to work normally.
Cam
Cam,
Fuel filters were changed at 671 hours. 740 hours now. Yesterday, while augering a new hole for my mail box, I ran max rpms. She screams like normal. Throttle response is normal also.
hugs, Brandi

/ Going slow #10  
Brandi:
I got caught with the fuel filter plugging once after getting some dirty fuel. My truck would not drive in overdrive, then 4th. I limped into town and turned out the filter was plugged. The truck still ran, just had less power, I had to run in a lower gear to get up every hill. The truck went downhill just fine as the power requirement was less. I would also look for a pinched fuel line or anything that would cause a restriction to fuel flow.
Good luck finding the problem, Cam