Going Mac...maybe.

/ Going Mac...maybe. #1  

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
We are not very knowledgeable computer users and just can't seem to keep a PC running well. Seems that every 3 or 4 years we buy a new PC when we give up trying to make the old one work. By then Microsoft has changed everything and we start a whole new learning curve. This time some friends are telling us to go Mac. I have never used a Mac and was wondering what everyone thought about their ease of use, stability and limitations. Compared to many here we are light weight users. Our primarily uses are e-mail, surfing the net, the wife's company web site and a little word processing.

This may be like a 'Chevy vs. Ford' question but I sure would like to hear any thoughts anyone will share.

Thanks,
MarkV

/ Going Mac...maybe. #2  
Keep in mind with the new OS that you can run dual boot or parallels and have the machine boot into the windows environment (need your own copy) so that is a "fail safe" if you have SW issues. Takes very little time getting used to a mac, and with so many things being web based now it is even easier.

/ Going Mac...maybe. #3  
I switched to Mac last year and haven't looked back- no matter which computer you use, after 3 or 4 years the thing is going to be behind the times. Mac is a good choice for an unsophisticated home user that doesn't use a lot of Windows specific software. The mac will surf the web, check you email, organize photos, edit movies etc out of the box. If you work with a lot of Microsoft Office documents, you might want to purchase the Mac office suite (iWork) or Microsoft Office for the Mac. The learning curve is not too bad- the layout is differnce but it still operates with a keyboard, a mouse and menus- things just aren't where you expect them to be. At this point you don't have to worry about running anti-virus software on the Mac or worry much about spyware. As stated above, if you end up hating the mac you can purchase a copy of Windows and run it on the Mac. My wife just switched, she doens't like it as much as I do and she runs some Windows programs using a virutal machine and it works seamlessly (we use VMWARE). I don't run any Windows programs on mine, and don't need to.

/ Going Mac...maybe. #4  
Mark,

Take a look at the Refurb iMacs on the apple web site. They have a 1 year warranty and you can (should?) buy Applecare which extends the warranty to 3 years and gets you extended phone help. Applecare is a lot cheaper on ebay.

The new iMacs have glossy screens. If that bothers you, you can still get the last generation white imacs which have the anti glare screen. Glossy screens have brighter colors but you have to watch room lighting and placement if the glare bothers you.

The 24" screens seem huge at first but it will grow on you. The kids watch iTV and movies on the Mac all the time. Just beautiful. Also on the new aluminum 20" iMacs Apple uses a slightly lower quality screen but It still looks very good to me.

Our experience is that the white iMac 24" worked right out of the box. Plug in the net, answer a few questions, surf away.

Max out memory if you can afford it. It costs about $100 to buy 4gig from Other world computing.

We don't build web pages so I don't know what software that needs, but word processing is Microsoft office. Is anyone a teacher or taking classes? Huge discount for education.

If anyone is qualified for the education discount Apple is throwing in a free ipod touch and $100 off a printer this summer when you buy a computer.

Dealmac is a useful site for... what else.. Mac deals.:D

Chris

/ Going Mac...maybe. #5  
I used Mac for years at work and it is great computer.

See, Mac does everything they say it will do - unlike PC:) Mac's are usually very stable and easy to use.

The only problem - at least for me - was the price of Mac laptop. Thats why I type this on second hand PC laptop with XPs.

/ Going Mac...maybe. #6  
Go with a Mac.
I have been using them since the days of IIci with a whopping 80 meg hard drive!!!

I used G3, G4 and G5 towers. My home computer is a dual core 24" imac with a terabyte of memory.

Macs are very (extremely) stable. Very little need for antivirus software.

Some software tends to be more expensive for Macs but it comes loaded with some very useful applications/tools.

Good luck...

Lloyd

/ Going Mac...maybe. #7  
There is no ned to purchase software for a Mac. Go to NeoOffice Home
and download NeoOffice. It a open source version that both looks and feels like all of the Office products.

It includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database and presentation software. It will read all Microsoft docs and will save docs to Microsoft format for your less frugal friends to open.

All they ask is a donation (but you don't have to).

I've donated several time as it is a worthwhile program.

Actually, several departments in the Federal government, states and school districts are using it exclusively.

And should you still be one of those people using Windoze, the same program is available at Openoffice.org

/ Going Mac...maybe. #8  
I am a Mac user from way back, at least 20 years.

I used Mac at home and Windows at work for about 10 years. If you have an entire IT department to maintain it, Windows will do almost anything a Mac can do, but I was always pulling my hair out over how hard it was to use.

If you don't have an IT department at home, get a Mac. It is so much easier to maintain. The price may seem higher at first, but if you think about what it costs to actually use the machine, a Mac is cheaper in the long run, and a lot more fun.

My wife was an ardent Windows fan when I met her. She consults and often has projects due on a specific date. At least once a year her machine would go down and the only practical solution was to get a new one so she could get the project done on time.

Then the University she works at gave her a Mac laptop and one day of training. Now she has thrown out all of the Windows machines and has had the same Mac for 4 years. A record. She is due for a new one, but only because of new, faster technology, not because of constant failures.

/ Going Mac...maybe. #9  
Once you go Mac....you'll never go back!

They make their HW and the OS. Like having a tractor with an engine made by the same company...

My household has 4 Macs and the oldest one is almost 10 years old and it still works!

Beware...once you get a Mac, then you will be getting an iPod and then an iPhone and you will have completely improved your quality of life... :D

An if that isn't enough....Vista is a poor excuse for an OS. Microsoft recently announced that if you buy Vista you can downgrade to XP for free! :confused:

/ Going Mac...maybe. #10  
I use Macs at work and PC's at home. Been using both for about 15 years. I despise the PC's. Mac are much easier to use and are much more reliable. The Mac programs all seem to to work more smoothly and even the basic stuff like moving and copying files is easier. But unfortunately everything for a Mac including software is more expensive. Freeware is rarer for Macs.

The tasks you describe are all pretty simple and a Mac will cruise through them. But before you buy, make sure you can get the programs you want.

I need a new laptop for home so purely on price I'll probably go for a PC but I know I will curse it.