GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars

/ GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
They plan to use it to fuel their Equinox Fuel Cell vehicles.

I know, most here think that hydrogen is just a impossible pipe dream. As usual though, I have faith that the doom and gloom folks will be surprised someday. It ain't as bad as they think.

Of course there are many backyard minds at work across this country and the world. However, GM is not a backyard company. Oh, by the way, Honda has just released their Home Energy Station IV. I think it's 75% smaller than the last one and they have some kind of car to go with it. They ain't backyard either.

I'm watching...I wonder where would I get a car like this? I want to get in line. If I can't get one of these maybe I'll look for a natural gas car. Might be able find one of those used.

One thought; we either remember or have read about the times when computers took up whole floors of buildings. Geeze, today we may have more computing power in some of the kids throw away games or even in some cell phones. Remember when texas Instruments got a couple hundred for a calculator? That being written, why would we think our only way to go is oil??

Never say never....Coffeeman

/ GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars #2  
I've been following the market for some time on hydrogen fueled homes. They have been in testing for about a decade now with some great success. Plug Technologies is one that I had followed for some time. Some of these systems are the size of a refrigerator and are completely self sufficient. I will love the day I can take myself off the grid and plug everything into my hydrogen fuel generator. The bad thing is that we are at least 20 years away from having this in production at a reasonable price.

/ GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars #3  
I don't think I'm a conspiracy theorist but I'm getting pretty cynical about the big boys releasing this type of news about the 'next big thing'. Why don't they release some good news about the 'now big thing' for a change?

GM over here are famous for displaying show-stopper concept cars that rarely get released, but they sure take the gloss off Ford's products on the stand next door.

Is this the same ploy again? "Don't get excited about electric cars folks (because we haven't got one of those anyway) but we do have this fancy new 'anti-grav, hydro-dynamic, supa-dupa, model in the works".

(P.S. edit) Petrol here today is $1.71 a litre! Thats up 70c in about 6 months. Thats about $6 a US gallon I think.

/ GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars #4  
Honda's H powered vehicle will cost $90,000+.

In ten years. Yep, in 10 years Honda might get the price to $90K. Right now it costs several times that amount to build the car.

The fuel tank is expensive which I can sorta kinda understand but it can't be that expensive. The car also uses very expensive metals which must be what makes it so expensive. If the expensive material usage can't be solved this will not be a mainstream car.

Later,
Dan

/ GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars #5  
Hydrogen ha! Rubber bands my man...That is the answer! Opps...rubber comes from oil.

I still think there is plenty of oil out there. Our society and economy is set up and based on oil. I think we need to get more efficient with our engines/transmissions as well as utilizing coal for oil. I don't care about the green fuels, (corn, etc. is being subsidized by the govt). But then, oil is no longer a free market item, either. I think this energy thing will work itself out...it's just a bubble.

/ GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars
Redbug said:
Hydrogen ha! Rubber bands my man...That is the answer! Opps...rubber comes from oil.

I still think there is plenty of oil out there. Our society and economy is set up and based on oil. I think we need to get more efficient with our engines/transmissions as well as utilizing coal for oil. I don't care about the green fuels, (corn, etc. is being subsidized by the govt). But then, oil is no longer a free market item, either. I think this energy thing will work itself out...it's just a bubble.

Right on the money. The key; "oil is no longer a free market item".

/ GM working on hydrogen home filling station for cars #7  
alchemysa said:
I don't think I'm a conspiracy theorist but I'm getting pretty cynical about the big boys releasing this type of news about the 'next big thing'. Why don't they release some good news about the 'now big thing' for a change?

GM over here are famous for displaying show-stopper concept cars that rarely get released, but they sure take the gloss off Ford's products on the stand next door.

Is this the same ploy again? "Don't get excited about electric cars folks (because we haven't got one of those anyway) but we do have this fancy new 'anti-grav, hydro-dynamic, supa-dupa, model in the works".

(P.S. edit) Petrol here today is $1.71 a litre! Thats up 70c in about 6 months. Thats about $6 a US gallon I think.

Disinformation, deceit and, diversion are all part of the game. You dont think those million dollar marketing execs are just getting paid to think up catchy TV slogans do you?

My thread about how the oil companies 'play the game' and manipulate prices got wiped because I used a nasty word in the title (starts with s, ends with w). But you can read the story here yourself. This is from Graeme Samuel, the head of the Australian Govt Competition and Consumer Commission, not from some crackpot conspiricy theorist...

PM - Graeme Samuel accuses grocery chains, petrol companies of deception

Heres an excert...

"Informed Sources has been presented as a champion of the consumer. In fact, it makes money from a business that allows the big petrol sellers to share price information, a business that would be wiped out by the FuelWatch Scheme.

Let me tell you what this system does. This system enables the major refiners plus Coles and Woolworths to feed up to Informed Sources in Brisbane into its computer every minute of the day the price that has been charged by their service stations in the major metropolitan areas of Australia.

From that computer in Brisbane, it's fed back to the subscribers, the collaborators in this process.

So Coles, Woolworths, BP, Shell, Caltex and Mobil know at any point of the day, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the price that each of their competitors is charging at each and every service station in the more densely populated areas of Australia and they know when the price is going up and they know when the price is going down.

Graeme Samuel said that system stops just short of illegal collusion."