GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I could not help but notice that even in the USA the Engine sizing quoted in maketing is using the metric sizing instead of the cubic inch sizing many of us older folks remember fondly.
Think back to those tried and true engine sizes that as soon as you heard the cubic inch size you knew the history of the motor.
The Ford 302, OR the GM 350 , 327, 307, or the Dodge 318 or 360 .

What I do find interesting is the the metric system of sizing engine is less accurate than the tried and true cubic inches, eg the 307 or 305 using metric difference would be lost in the decimals.

Anyway , what other engines bring back fond memories ! Mine was the 350 4 barrel I had in my 1979 Chev Fleetside. With a four speed manual transmission on the floor (Bull low was rarely used except for boat launch ramps)

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #2  
I was acquainted with the Mopar 225, 318, 360, 400, 440's mostly. When small engines went to cc's instead of HP, I got lost.:confused: or torque or whatever it is now.

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #3  
The 4 barrel carb. was good until it started to over flow crossing a railroad track or bump in road and poured gas over the engine.
Then driving got interesting. stop raise hood and use fire fighting methods to put out fire road side gravel and sand or snow what ever could grab.
Not really liking the metric method of sizing engines. What ever used to keep the pistons flying up and back down with fuel injectors keep the fuel inside the container.

Whether measured in pints or quarts or liters still how does it preform for the use intended.
ken

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #4  
What I do find interesting is the the metric system of sizing engine is less accurate than the tried and true cubic inches, eg the 307 or 305 using metric difference would be lost in the decimals.
Its only less accurate because they round 4.998L (the 305) or 5.03083 (the 307) to a round number and both end up as 5L

Aaron Z

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #5  
In the past I've owned a 318 in a 72 Satellite, a 383 in a 70 Challenger and a 440 6 barrel in a 70 Road Runner. I never owned one but who can forget the legendary 426 hemi. Mopar has also gone old school and the newer hemi is being called a 392.

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #6  
Our 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner only had a 383, 4-bbl engine, but it would sure go. Of course it burned lots of gas and needed spark plugs changed frequently. The Chrysler Town & Country wagon with the 440, 4-bbl did a good job of pulling an 18' travel trailer; much better than the Olds 350, 2-bbl it replaced. The one ton Chevy dually with the 454, 4-bbl pulled the fifth-wheel very well, but used lots of gas. The 318, 2-bbl Dodge industrial engine in the little 18' Winnebago Brave was surprisingly quick on acceleration. When I bought that little motorhome, I'd never heard of the "industrial" engine, and I'm not sure what all the differences were but the 318 in the cars held 4 quarts of oil, while the industrial 318 held 8 quarts. A dealer told me the 318 car engine was a 100k mile engine while the 318 industrial was a 150k mile engine.

And now . . . my 2001 Ranger has a 4.0L V-6 engine while the 2014 Escape SE ecoboost is just a 2.0L 4 banger. And that little 4 cylinder turbo will really scat, too, and get better gas mileage than anything else mentioned above.:laughing:

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #7  
Bird said the dirty word.

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #8  
My youth was spent putting junkyard 350's together with a few aftermarket parts thrown in. Putting the hurt on a big dollar big block sure was rewarding...

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #9  
The 5.3L /327 direct injection engine makes any old 350,400 or 454 a dog by comparison . 355HP and 383lb ft torque. Always starts, idles smooth, flat torque curve and mileage that will get you called prone to exaggeration .No vapour lock, no flooding, no fan belts jumping off. No points , no heat riser and no sticking choke. Runs 300,000 miles with just two set of spark plug changes,. Regular oil changes and air filter changes. Good old days, no they were not the good old days.
6.2L if you want 420HP and 460lb ft of torque. Cheaper fuel than diesel. No glow plugs, no turbo, no waste gate, no cooled EGR, no particulate filter and no urea injection. No fuel jelling and just one starting battery.

/ GM, Dodge and Ford engine sizing in the past #10  
Beach boys never did a song about she's so great my 4.8 ---Trevor