"glue" for rubber to steel

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I have a project, where I am most likely going to be either using a section of large V belt or a small section of tire tread, for a braking pad,

I plan on using some carriage or elevator bolts on the ends of the rubber section but would like to glue it as well,

what are your recommendations, this would be a brake that would be used to dumb waiter type cart, if the lever is ever activate by the loss of cable tension, the rubber would grip on the metal track, (I want some thing that can grip and compress as well this would be a curve that would self tighten if it is ever needed, the pad (rubber) would be on an eccentric, that the will continue to grip with more down pressure, so I want the compression (I have some old belts off of farm machinery, that will or come close to fitting in a 2" channel iron (which will be the track) or I will cut a section of tire tread, for the pad,

weather strip adhesive,
a super glue type product,
Shoe Goo, Shoe GOO Adhesive product 0710
Free sole, Freesole® Urethane Formula Shoe Repair

any other products one may suggest,

this would be in the elements, not inside, (it may have a cover, but not totally out of the elements or light).

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #3  
REMA Tip Top bonding for rubber to steel ( conveyor belt head pulley)

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #5  
Not sure how well Shoe Goo grips steel, but I bet if you roughed it up a bit first, it would test well. I extended the life of a pair of New Balance 805's with tread separation issues a year ago and the repair is still rock solid.

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #6  
I suggest to use a two part bonding system

The stuff I've seen has One inside and one outside to match. Available at any hardware store, and it fits in a variety of holes. Called "Nuts and Bolts" or something like.

What I tried to say, Is I've not seen any DIY adhesive that will hold up to a Pad application. Rubber is flexible!

Though if I were a betting man, I would wager on PL400 construction adhesive!

Cheers

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #7  
Pliobond. It is an industrial contact cement for rubber among other materials. You will have to get it at an industrial supply store not at box stores. We use it a lot and is tuff stuff.

Dan D.

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #8  
use a lot of 3M super weatherstrip adhesive for problem solving.

Most of the fiction materials I see are riveted... I've done it myself where as I have never attempted to bond brake linings at home.

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #9  
weather strip adhesive or contant cement comes to mind...

/ "glue" for rubber to steel #10  
I'd try some stuff from this place.

Home Page

I've used the Shoo-goo type product and it does not hold over time.I've seen and used these catylizer bonding systems used on car bodyside moldings and they are a permanent fix.Unbelievable holding power.