Glow Plugs

/ Glow Plugs #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Looking for answers,

1999 L3710

Should I be getting a glow plug indicator @ 60 degrees F on cold start up? I swear it used to but I haven't seen the indicator light this summer. If I have a problem I don't want to wait for cold weather to work on it.

Thanks,

Kevin

/ Glow Plugs #2  
I'm pretty sure you should be seeing that glow plug light on cold start-up.Sounds like something is not right.This should bump it up for the "L" experts to comment.Good Luck!

/ Glow Plugs #4  
With the engine fully warmed up, when I restart my L5030 the glow plug light comes on for about a second. It also always comes on with a cold start regardless of the outside air temp.

/ Glow Plugs #5  
I have a 2008 L3940 with about 400 hours and have operated it from a low of 25 degrees to a high of 110 degrees. Every time I turn the ignition key to the first click the glow plug light comes on for about 1 to 2 seconds. When it is really cold it will come on for several seconds before goi g out.

More informative than the light is the loud relay switch I can hear click on when the key is turned and off when the light goes out.

It is a pretty good click noise. That is what I wait for before I try to start it.

/ Glow Plugs
To follow up on this thread, my glow plug is NOT working. I'm looking for suggestions on where to start trouble shooting. The only electronic tool I have is a multimeter.

/ Glow Plugs #7  
The correct way is to use your meter on ohms resistance setting. take plug out of engine and check from body of plug to electrode where wire goes on. if reading is 5 ohms or less - then its good. If higher then 5-6 ohms or open, replace.

If anyone doesnt have a meter, then the poor mans method is use a car charger. Clamp black on body and touch the electrode where wire goes in and watch it start to glow. No need to do this for long and CAREFUL!!! its HOT!!! . you will need a safe surface to put it down on and let cool off completely before putting back in engine. Anything that doesnt glow is bad. Please let the plug become completely cold, not luke warm after testing with charger as metal expands and you dont want to enlarge the threaded hole to engine.

/ Glow Plugs #8  
I personally see no reason to remove glow plug to check continuity.. I check glow plugs with an amp meter one wire on battery positive post and other wire on glow plug connection then look for a amperage draw.

/ Glow Plugs #9  
A non contact ir temp gun also works, without taking anything apart

/ Glow Plugs #10  
Check the output of the relay/timer/control box (I'm not sure how your model is set up) to see that it is feeding power to the glow plugs.

With the glow plugs electrically disconnected I'm guessing you should see something close to full battery voltage (Vdc) at the glow plug connector. Try to do this first, before pulling any glow plugs out - it's possible but pretty unlikely that all of the glow plugs would fail at the same time.

Rgds, D.