Glow plugs in summer?

/ Glow plugs in summer? #1  

DiskDoctr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510
Probably stupid question...

Should you use the glow plugs in summer, too? Of course, we always used them in winter on the VW Golf, but now alway in summer.

Does it hurt not to use them if it starts quickly?

Opinions?

-JC

/ Glow plugs in summer? #2  
Not a dumb question at all. While I don't know if there is any harm in not using the glow plugs in summer, I have always made it a habit to use them even if it is only for a shorter amount of time. At least with my older Kubota, it certainly helps it start a lot smoother. I'll be interested to see if anyone with more experience than myself says it causes any real damage or not...

/ Glow plugs in summer?
Seems that since the glow plug key position is CCW from off position instead of at halfway between start and run like diesel cars, it is positioned as "optional" ?

Why else place it so one has to turn the key backwards before starting?

Just seems odd. Would be interested if anyone knows about this.

-JC

/ Glow plugs in summer? #4  
I am a truck mechanic and have been driving a VW Rabbit Diesel for about 14 years. From my experience I can say that as long as it starts easy and doesnt run rough then you dont need the glow plugs. As you drive them and use them you will know when to use them and when not to. For example when it is freezing cold out and you shut the engine off for a few minutes you can start it right up without using glow plugs because the heat needed for combustion is already there.

I was unaware of having to turn the ign key ccw for the glow pluggs on the Mahindra tractors. I have a 2015 on order so this was useful information. Thanks

/ Glow plugs in summer? #5  
You won't have to turn your key backwards on a 2015
Just one klick to the rightand wait.

/ Glow plugs in summer? #6  
Even my diesel ZTR mower has glow plugs. The extra heat will help it start faster and cleaner. I would use them but I guess if you are not getting any more smoke or a ruffer start w/o the GPs then it's your call. My tractor starts a lot better if I use them than if I don't but it also only has 8 hours if that makes a difference.