Glow plugs and diesels

/ Glow plugs and diesels #1  

GSS

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7360SS, MF1100 & JDx585
I bit the bullet and got the 7360SS with fel and 72" finish mower... Now, let's get this forum hoppin'!

The manual says to turn the key to the "glow plug" position, wait til the light goes out and then turn it over. It seems to take a [censored] long time before going out though. Do I have to wait? My buddy always waits for his light to go out on his truck before starting it.

Thanks.

- G

/ Glow plugs and diesels #2  
How long does it take? I would say yes,As the plugs warm up the chamber for easier starting.Should be around 30 seconds.But I'm no expert/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Can you post any pics of the new cub?

/ Glow plugs and diesels #3  
GSS,
You should wait for the light to go out. You want the plugs to be hot. You should notice that as the ambient temperature gets warmer the time to glow should decrease. If not I would contact the dealer.
Bruce

/ Glow plugs and diesels
I don't know for sure. Unfortunately, I have only started it once since I got it. The rain has been practically constant! When it's not raining, it seems like I'm sitting here in this blasted cubicle... It's supposed to be nice tonight, so I'll be patient and time it.

They are on my camera. I just have to pull them off.

- G

/ Glow plugs and diesels #5  
GSS, welcome to TBN! and a special welcome to another Cub owner!

On my 7260, I wait till the glow plug light goes out. You get used to it, and it always starts right up. Good luck with your new rig.

Corm

/ Glow plugs and diesels
Thanks, Corm!

/ Glow plugs and diesels #7  
I have a 7260 as well. The length of time the light stays on depends upon the temp; usually about 15 seconds. We also have a couple of Farmall 504's. They take about a minute.

/ Glow plugs and diesels
Sorry...

I am an idiot! I must apologize. I fired'er up last night, and guess what I realized? I was looking at the wrong FRICKIN light!! The first time the steering wheel must've blocked my view and I completely missed it. Instead I was focusing on the Oil Pressure light! LOL Last night, the Glow Plug light came on and went out within seconds.

Sorry guys. Chock one up for inexperience with the brand new tractor...

- Gerald

/ Glow plugs and diesels #9  
Re: Sorry...

D'oh as homer Simpson would say /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Glow plugs and diesels #10  
Re: Sorry...

I'm really confused. I have a 7234 I've had either 4 or 5 years and I vaguely remember the dealer telling me that on todays diesels starting isn't as critical and you can just start them right up. My tractor is in a basement garage and is never colder than about 50 degrees until I put it out to plow snow and have never had any trouble starting. Should I be looking for the glow plug light even in warm weather? Comments on my little knowledge of diesels?

Thanks for being kind guys.