Give me your welding experiences

/ Give me your welding experiences
so basically using a rod for filler to feed intomthe molten pool?
siounds like it would work - ill give it a go
thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Give me your welding experiences #182  
Cool!! Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought of that. Anxious to give it a try.

just went out to give it a go nut it started raining /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
looks like itll have to wait till sunday
thanks

/ Give me your welding experiences #184  
I'm new to welding, but one thing I've learned so far is that with REP, 2/3 of your heat will be at the electrode rather than the workpiece. Also, the shorter the arc, the less heat. Maybe even dial the amps down. I've playing with 6013 rod, or Lincolns 5P+, same rod just Lincolns designation. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i tried the thing with feeding in a second rod
was kinda hard to do you had to keep the end of the rod in the arc to melt it properly
made a rubbish weld but by jove it worked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
thanks

/ Give me your welding experiences #186  
I don't have any experience at this yet, but just thinking about it, in addition to adding more filler with the second rod, it also gives you another way to control the heat. The second rod could be used to "soak up" a bit of heat if it gets too hot, while at the same time it deposits some fill.

Should have my new rig set up soon and will have to try this.

/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Give me your welding experiences #187  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And with regard to thin material, does a stick welder with DC capability help here? I was thinking that maybe with the right polarity you might control the heat differently. I've got a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC. )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And with regard to thin material, does a stick welder with DC capability help here? I was thinking that maybe with the right polarity you might control the heat differently. I've got a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC. )</font>
Straight polarity is DCEN (Elec-,)For better penetration where 5/8 heat is on work, 3/8 on rod
Reverse Polarity is DCEP(Elec+) which is vice versa. Better for thin material
AC welder current flows back and forth from rod to work and tends to cause some inclusions and porosity, a bit more spatter and a faster deposit rate
)</font>

/ Give me your welding experiences #188  
MMM; My instructor will be proud that I learned that from him. I did get it right! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Give me your welding experiences #189  
Being an electronics engineer, that confirms what I expected.

Electrons flow from negative to positive, the heat goes where the electrons go. Makes good sense and easy to remember that way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Give me your welding experiences #190  
Mith make sure you get most of the flux off your extra filler rod. I take a hammer and my anvil and roll the filler around pecking it to knock off the flux. I t makes the weld a bit nicer lol Or use some gass welder rods. Its not real pretty but it worksfor alot of things. I welded several drums together for a logging out fit to make culverts for the skidders to cross this way. I worked at a fab shop when I was 16 making steel hulled boats and we had to stick weld them. The sheetmetal was about 3/16ths and the prints called for downhill welds all joints at 230 amps. worked good and the passed Xray exams. Not to impressed with down hilling though.