Getting used to ZTR… any advice?

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice? #1  

S854

Silver Member
Tractor
‘67 MF 135 Deluxe / ‘22 Kioti CK2610 HST/Bad Boy ZT Elite 54”
We recently upgraded from a riding mower (Craftsman GT500) to a ZT Elite…

Picking up our Bad Boy

It was late when we got it home but I couldn’t resist giving it a quick run… it‘s very capable (duh!)…

Mowed some 18” alfalfa/weed next to the drive then cut the Mohawks out of the front lawn left by the old rider last weekend…

I knew the handling was going to be different, moving from a steering wheel to levers, after about half an hour I was going reasonably straight… that was traveling at a slow speed… getting around various obstacles (hydrant, bushes, trees) was a challenge, but eventually doable…

turning around at the edge of our lawn, I did manage to grind a wheel into the grass… I drove one wheel with the other drive wheel acting as the pivot… it’ll grow back…:rolleyes:

Julie will be the primary operator of this bad boy (sorry!)… and I, also being new to the levers, am probably not the best person to rely on when it comes to teaching her the ins-and-outs of zero turn…

I will be there to give guidance and support… what’s the best advice one can give to operating this different machine?

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice? #4  
I only used one once, but I learned with the divots, i did significantly better, by doing a rolling reverse turn, and using both levers, using only 1 lever drags a tire. it does take some time to get use to it.

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice? #5  
Check your tire pressures and practice turning in the driveway.

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice? #6  
Seat time..... I cut stuff now the would have resulting in swimming lessons a few years ago. You will learn how it responds and the limits of traction in short order. Small controlled movements, no need to yank on the sticks very often.

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice? #7  
The one my wife has, the rears automatically compensate for sharp turns so no wheel dragging.

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice? #8  
Newby drivers of ZTR mowers should practice on a big open area. Stay away from obstacles !

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice? #9  
Check out "K" turns on YouTube. Making slow and deliberate control movements will allow the operator to keep both wheels turning during the maneuver.

/ Getting used to ZTR… any advice?
Looks like we have a “school day” (or three) in our near future…

thanks for all the Insight guys…

I’m thinking of laying our a course in one of our open fields, marked with paint… give Julie something to aim for/miss…