getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #1  

adlertom

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33DA hydro w/supersteer
I have a Stihl 026 chainsaw. When it starts to lose power, I know it's time to blow out the air filter with compressed air. Then it runs great again until the filter clogs again.

Lately the time between cleanings has been shortening. I suppose any filter gets to the point where it can't be cleaned anymore, but I'm wondering if there's some other way besides compressed air that might clean it better. Can I wash it in water?

The air filters for these saws are pricey, so I want to get as much life as possible out of them.

Thanks,

Tom

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #2  
I'm guessing this is a paper pleated filter? You see some with a foam precleaner around the filter. Prolonged blowing with compressed air will damage a paper filter. You can probably convert to a foam filter and wash.

Some paper filters you can "dry clean". Think of a dry cleaner, they clean with a fluid, just not water. Water will expand the fibers and destroy the filter. A foamy is probably the cheapest to do.

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #3  
Trying this reply again as the website has caused me a lot of trouble tonight.

I have a Stihl 230c that sees at least 8 hours of use per week. I have two filters that I swap out. When I bring it home I wash it in the sink with hot water and dish soap. The I let it air dry and swap it out with the dirty filter the next time I work. I have been using these two for over 6 months and they are just now getting too dirty to use. The guys at the Stihl shop were the ones that recommended this technique.

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter
Thanks for the replies so far.

Robj, I don't think my filter is paper. It's a plastic frame with openings covered with what looks like a thin fabric of some sort.

Pushing_Tin, is the filter construction for your 230C similar? I will give your washing/air drying technique a try. Thanks!

Tom

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #5  
adlertom said:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Robj, I don't think my filter is paper. It's a plastic frame with openings covered with what looks like a thin fabric of some sort.

Pushing_Tin, is the filter construction for your 230C similar? I will give your washing/air drying technique a try. Thanks!

Tom

Cool, let me know how it works out for you!

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #6  
Good Afternoon Tom,
I have the Stihl 025 and 029 saws. I have had the same problem for years. I have two filters and use compressed air as you, its a bit of a pain but I can get fairly good mileage out of one filter before its totally plugged up.

The filter element has a very fine mesh, Im sure its there for engine longevity, so i guess not an entirely bad thing ! ;) :)

Im very happy overall with both of those saws !

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #7  
Good Evenin Tom,
I just remembered a little trick that worked fairly well ! Part of what plugs up the filters is sawdust thats impregnated with bar oil ! I tried using some spray on brake cleaner to break up some of that oily residue prior to blasting it with compressed air ! ;) Hope that helps ! :)

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter
The parts guy at my local chainsaw store said not to wash the filter in water, as it could cause the adhesive on the filter material to weaken and come off the plastic frame.

Never thought of brake cleaner, thanks for that tip. I wonder if soap would do the same thing?

I'm going to try washing it anyway. I'll just look it over before reinstalling to make sure it's OK. I did buy a new filter, so if I wreck this one I can just put on a new one.

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #9  
adlertom said:
The parts guy at my local chainsaw store said not to wash the filter in water, as it could cause the adhesive on the filter material to weaken and come off the plastic frame.

Never thought of brake cleaner, thanks for that tip. I wonder if soap would do the same thing?

I'm going to try washing it anyway. I'll just look it over before reinstalling to make sure it's OK. I did buy a new filter, so if I wreck this one I can just put on a new one.

Well maybe it just depends on who the manufacturer of the filter is...? Like I said, I have been washing mine for 6 months and they are perfectly fine. They are $10 each though so maybe the quality is higher.

/ getting maximum life out of chainsaw air filter #10  
Do you know a lady that has an old pair of panty hose? that would make a good pre-filter :D