Get a new camera - advice

/ Get a new camera - advice #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
I have loved my old Nikon SLR for many years. The pics can't be beat but it's well past it's prime and I need to move to the digital era. We do have a digital camera already, it was "under $200" and is OK but nothing like a real camera.

I want to get a good digital, something that will rival what I could do with my old SLR and swap lenses if needed. I was looking at the Nikon and Canon products so far but have not really got into the research.

Any advice from users who have Canon Rebel's or Nikon D90's? I would be OK spending about $1000 for the body and a starter lens and then I'd get more lenses later.

Comments?

/ Get a new camera - advice #2  
I have a Rebel XSi. I upgraded from a Eos 850 Film.

I stayed with canon for lens compatibility with my old ones. Ive only had it since christmas, but so far im very happy.

Only issue it that the body doesnt feel as substantial as the old Eos but the ergonomics are the same. Also the Kit lens 11-55mm has a plastic mount, which i HATE. But the lens itself is decent. I think the old lenses were better made than the new (price point) lenses.

If you have any Nikkor lenses, id check for compatibility with the new Nikon bodies. Check online.DONT listen to what they say at Futureshop about compatibility because they just want to sell you new lenses. THey tried that stunt with me!!

The new Rebel does video!!! If i had of known it was coming i would have waited. Ite a little more money than the Still camera, but i would have paid for the upgrade.

Good luck on your choice. I attached a couple pics, but theyve been servery compressed for TBN

Attachments

• IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
   / Get a new camera - advice
Good advice. Thanks. Great shots, I have to get to NS and see it in real life.

/ Get a new camera - advice #4  
I've been doing a lot of the same research lately. And from what I've found the Canon T1i or 50D appear to be the best consumer grade products from the canon line. The T1i is a direct competitor of the nikon D90. I've been leaning towards the T1i but haven't decided if the hd video is worth mode is worth it yet. The reviews that I've read have been that the body is good for the T1i but the starter lens is definitely lacking and by upgrading the lens, you can get much better pictures.

/ Get a new camera - advice #6  
I had Canon film cameras for years, when it was time for a SLR digital I went with a D70 Nikon just for a change. It served me well for about 3 years before I got the itch for something new.
Recently I looked at all the offerings again and decided to stay with Nikon and bought a D90. I am very happy with it also, it fits me well and is easier to use then the D70.

You really can't go wrong with either brand, in my opinion it comes down to which one feels better in your hand and is easier for you to use.

This is a very good site.
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

/ Get a new camera - advice #7  
jimmj,

I just bought a Canon Rebel xsi 450D last week.
It's a 12-15 megapixel camera . The package included two lenses. 18 mm to 75mm and
75mm to 300mm. I bought two complete sets(second set was for a friend - better price for two sets) and got a 35-40% deal. This was from a private store - done business with them for years. Costco had similar deals/price.

We included two extra batteries plus two 8 gig cards each. The two 8 gig cards are cheaper than one 16 gig card. Remember the higher the resolution the camera is the more memory/storage capacity you need.

My last camera was a 7 megapixel Sony. Great entry level camera.

This camera ROCKS. It brings me back to the days of film - my camera collection includes 35mm, 3cmx6cm, 3cmx9cm, 2.25" format, 4"x5" and 5"x7" field cameras... yes the ones you use with a hood and take single sheet film shots.

The quality is amazing. I shoot mostly with manual controls and I some times use an external light meter. The auto mode is great and the sports mode is excellent.

The manual says you can get about 600 shots per battery charge with no flash. I am at that number and there is no sign of battery usage dropping. If you look a lot at your shots it will consume power.

It is fully automatic or manual including the lenses.

You can only use the rangefinder for framing. The viewing screen on the back is for displaying the images and menu information.

I could go on...

Great camera.

The one I wanted was a 23 megapixel nikon... but I would have to sell the tractor!!!

lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    832.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    851 KB · Views: 98
   / Get a new camera - advice #8  
You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon right now. My only word of caution is to try the various models in your hand (much as you would test drive a tractor). I started my DSLR life with a Rebel XT but was pretty unhappy from the beginning. It is just too small for my hands. It takes marvelous photos and I still use it as my back up but I moved up to a 30D and love it. It fits and feels so much better in my hands. You can get leftover 30 and 40Ds for not much more than the Rebels if you look around. Also, forget about the kit lens. Move right on to a decent piece of glass and you will be that much happier as well. (isn't it fun spending other people's money???)

The site that turbo36 mentioned (dpreview) is the standard for reviews and comparisons.

/ Get a new camera - advice #9  
I have loved my old Nikon SLR for many years. The pics can't be beat but it's well past it's prime and I need to move to the digital era. We do have a digital camera already, it was "under $200" and is OK but nothing like a real camera.

I want to get a good digital, something that will rival what I could do with my old SLR and swap lenses if needed. I was looking at the Nikon and Canon products so far but have not really got into the research.

Any advice from users who have Canon Rebel's or Nikon D90's? I would be OK spending about $1000 for the body and a starter lens and then I'd get more lenses later.

Comments?

I'm not sure what he has, but smfcpacfp (Steve Foulks) has the sharpest pictures with the most resolution I've seen on this site. I pm'd him once questioning on which camera he owns but perhaps you'll have better luck contacting him. He may even see this thread and chime in.

/ Get a new camera - advice #10  
Lloyd_E:You can use the rear screen for "Live View" when shooting in P (program) Tv,Av, M, and A-Dep modes.

Push the "set" button to activate. Then manual focus or the * button (top right on the back) to AF.

Just a FYI