Generators, sizes and fuel options?

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options?
The regulators will freeze up. You likely need a heated regulator to cure that regardless of tank size. What he’s taking about is the propane can’t transform from its liquid state to a gas fast enough to keep the generator supplied. The propane is essentially evaporating inside the tank. Cold slows the process. The bigger tank gives the liquid a larger surface area to evaporate.
Yes, I had to Google it. Propane vaporization has to do with tank size and temperature.

it is misleading that they are called dual fuel then. They advertise using a 20 pound propane tank to run for 5 hours. Is that not possible? I guess?

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #32  
Yes, I had to Google it. Propane vaporization has to do with tank size and temperature.

it is misleading that they are called dual fuel then. They advertise using a 20 pound propane tank to run for 5 hours. Is that not possible? I guess?

It would probably work fine if it was 80 degrees outside.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #33  
Can you explain? And are you talking whole house? I plan on wheeling out the 10k generator and 50 gallon propane tank from my shop, plugging it in and firing it up? This won’t work?
By whole house im talking permanent install 10 kw. The problem is when you suck large volums of propane out of small tank, the tank freezes. This prevents liquid propane from vaporizing and being useful to generator. I cant speak about portable generators.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #34  
I myself used to have a 250 gal above ground tank, live in north idaho and never had any issues. I put in a 1000 gal bury tank about 4 years ago, so now i dont even think about it.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #35  
After a week long outage 15 years ago, I bought a 12KW PTO powered genny to use behind the tractor. I fuel it from our 1000 gal heating oil tank which will last a month or more if necessary. I don't run it 24/7, just when the demand is high for cooking, well pump, etc. All other times, I use a small gas genny to power the essentials. The scheme has worked very well over the years.

Now I'm getting to the age where setting up the PTO genny is more of a chore than it used to be. I'm looking to replace it with a stand alone diesel powered unit. Just turn the key and it's ready to go instead of having to swap tractor implements. To save a few $$, I can reuse the wiring I have set up for the PTO generator.

Over the last few years, our local power company has made improvements to the grid in our area and outages are fewer and of shorter duration than they used to be. As a result, I put the generator plan on the back burner. Now however, the recent sub station sabotage events in SC, NC and most recently Washington state caused me to resurrect the plan. The press coverage of these events is sure to put ideas in the heads of terrorists and every nut job out there with a rifle. Many more copycat events are sure to follow.
Take a look for Military Surplus 15KW gen set. Can be found from time to time on ebayy. Make sure you get the ' tactical quiet model' (means it runs at ~68db at 30 feet). It's a primary, NOT stand-by, unit. Can be run 24/7/365 on single or 3 ph, is diesel powered, puts out <5% harmonic distortion and can be run at 150% out put for weeks.
Since its diesel the less power you use the less fuel you use.
Only thing not great about them is that they're NOT auto start.
If I remember right the base model is MEP-804A.
Been years since I used them. Can be found for < $6K from time to time with less than 1K hrs,
Today on ebay

2002 MILITARY FERMONT DIESEL 5KW MEP-802A GENERATOR WITH TRAILER LOW HOURS​

Item Information​

Condition:
UsedUsed
“Very good condition. Well maintained. Starts and runs. Great tread on tires. Only 295 Hours on ”... Read moreabout conditio
Time left: 1d 1h|Wednesday, 09:25 PM
Current bid:
US $4,000.0

Last edited:
   / Generators, sizes and fuel options? #36  
I would think propane is the lowest maintenance way to go as far as fuel no?

Diesel grows bacteria and water.
Diesel does not have bacteria problems if you keep the water out of it and in all the years I've stored diesel I've not had it happen even one time.

I don't use additives either, that's already in it when you buy the diesel from a station.

SR

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #37  
Diesel does not have bacteria problems if you keep the water out of it and in all the years I've stored diesel I've not had it happen even one time.

I don't use additives either, that's already in it when you buy the diesel from a station.

SR

Propane could in theory last longer than a human lifespan. If you’re lucky and the power never goes out the diesel would have to be traded out every few years.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #38  
How much inconvenience can you tolerate?
Everything must work = total home backup generator.
Must have heat, candles & flashlights Ok -- small generator, recommend inverter type
(60hz A/C x 60sec/min = 3600RPM engine speed. Inverters can run slower, saving fuel $)

How long of a power outage are you planning for?
Few hours (storm damage) - fuel readily available
Few days (major storm damage) - fuel available in next town/county
A week or so (major damage, sabotage) - no fuel until power restored

I am using a pellet stove for heat. A 1000i Honda generator will run about 7 hrs on 1 gal gas (3 gal/day)
Upgraded to an Ecoflow solar generator, extra battery and their smart gas generator. Will run stove about 1 1/2 days on batteries, then uses gas gen to recharge batteries. Need to add more solar panels next year.

GOALS: to only need 3-5 gal of gas per week (can't make gas, panels can make DC power)
reduce amount of on site fuel storage

Worst case: carry in firewood and heat old school.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #39  
Take a look for Military Surplus 15KW gen set. Can be found from time to time on ebayy. Make sure you get the ' tactical quiet model' (means it runs at ~68db at 30 feet). It's a primary, NOT stand-by, unit. Can be run 24/7/365 on single or 3 ph, is diesel powered, puts out <5% harmonic distortion and can be run at 150% out put for weeks.
Since its diesel the less power you use the less fuel you use.
Only thing not great about them is that they're NOT auto start.
If I remember right the base model is MEP-804A.
Been years since I used them. Can be found for < $6K from time to time with less than 1K hrs,
Today on ebay

2002 MILITARY FERMONT DIESEL 5KW MEP-802A GENERATOR WITH TRAILER LOW HOURS​

Item Information​

Condition:
UsedUsed
“Very good condition. Well maintained. Starts and runs. Great tread on tires. Only 295 Hours on ”... Read moreabout conditio
Time left: 1d 1h|Wednesday, 09:25 PM
Current bid:
US $4,000.0
This would be a good solution for the barns but they are too far from the house. I'm trying to keep the area around the house looking neat with no implements lying around outside.

I'd prefer a portable diesel generator that I could keep in the garage next to the house. A unit on casters, like this Kubota, could be moved around inside or even moved to another building with pallet forks:

59890_2000x2000.jpg

I guess I could keep the trailer mounted unit you suggest in the garage also but it would take up an entire bay and would be difficult to move around by hand.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #40  
Great thread!

WEIW; we live at 1,200, the 10GPM water-well is 400 feet away and 220 feet down.

Our new 8K does just fine; the comments regarding balancing usage are spot-on.

We haven't used our electric heater since 2003...all wood heat with $60.00/mo electric bills...

Our older 5K that we bought for Y2K was a beast, but it wouldn't run the well.

We use clear-gas; we NEVER put ethanol into anything that is carbureted, but having full tanks in the vehicles is always a backup.

Electric start is wonderful; we run 4 hours on, 4 hours off.

Liking the bluetooth!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221227-150844.png
    Screenshot_20221227-150844.png
    892.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20221227-150407.png
    Screenshot_20221227-150407.png
    856.8 KB · Views: 52