Geneological Research

/ Geneological Research #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Anyone here skilled using the internet for geneology? I have just begun to do some research on my own, but it is frustrating...almost every link leads to a free search with a pay-for-results. Are there ample free search engines out there, or will I have to end up paying for a geneological service?

I have been able to find just enough information to get started, but access to census, marriage, and other records, at least what I have found, also requires you to pay. I really don't mind paying for a service, as long as I get a complete service with no hooks or other bs. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance;

Dennis

/ Geneological Research #2  
If you can find a forum with the surnames you are reseaching you might try here: GenForum - Home.

But the old school methods work best, i.e. the recollections of older family members, documentation in old family bibles, letters, that sort of stuff. I'm benfit from a lot of research on both my mom and dad's lines was done early in the last century and there are a few books about the family.

The Church of the Latter Day Saints has compiled extensive records on families which I believe are free (Here's a link to the Family Search). They also maintain family search centers around the country. A lot of genealogists make use of their resources.

I can't recommend any of the pay sites since I've never had a need for them, but that might be an avenue if you can't get traction elsewhere.

Good hunting!

Last edited:
   / Geneological Research #3  
I've been using the Internet for various genealogy research for about ten years. What you'll find is that the answer to your question is "it depends". It depends on what area, what time frame, what you have to start with, what type of information you'd like to find...

Some states, like Virginia, keep a tight lid on records, not making them public for 50-75 years. Others, like North Carolina, make them public a lot quicker. Some of those records are searchable online, some aren't.

FamilySearch.org, which someone else already mentioned, is a good site and they've added tons of records. Some of the data sets are abstracts and some are digitized copies of the originals. Some are searchable by name, some are not. they have a lot of census records here.

Ancestry.com is a pay site, but they have some stuff for free. Footnote is good for military, especially civil war stuff, its also pay with some free stuff.

The library of Virginia has a good collection of stuff, especially their chancery record collection and the death record indexing project. They also have land grant information, some historical inventory stuff done during the 1930s, etc.

Findagrave.com is intended as a way to search cemeteries, but many people will add some genealogy information to the cemetery record. This one is free.

Check with your public library. A bunch of them will subscribe to genealogy databases and some of them can be used online with just your library card number, like heritagequest. Also, newspaper archives. There are pay sites for newspaper archives, and sometimes your library has it, sometimes the newspaper has some archives online.

And check out books.google.com - searchable online copies of out of copyright books, including old genealogy stuff (books and newsletters). just be sure to check the free books only on the left, or you'll get a bunch with no preview.

And don't forget to talk to your living family. See what stories have been passed down, see who has photos of your family members no longer around, etc. I was visiting my grandmother and asked if she had any old photos. She said no, then paused and thought, then went into the back room and brought out a tintype of my third great grandfather about the time of the civil war.

If you happen to be looking for VA or NC, I may be able to give you some more specific pointers, as that's the area I work with the most.

One last word of caution. Many people put many different things on the Internet. Not all are true. If you care at all about the information being accurate, keep track of your sources. Having a digital copy of a record is much better than some guy said something on a message board in 1995.

Keith

/ Geneological Research
Thank you very much. I'm saving this for future reference.

/ Geneological Research #5  
I just became interested in this, so I figured I'd bump it. Good thread.

/ Geneological Research #6  
Periodically, Ancestry.com has a sale of sorts. Like, join for a month at a cheaper price. I did this once and found it useful. For the most part, you can trace census records back and see where everyone was during a ten-year period. You may also find other people who have done the work for you -- they created a family tree and left it open to others and you can see a lot of the branches relevant to your search. I didn't see any of the ship records or stuff like in the TV ads, but I did find my grandfather's draft cards from WWI and WWII. They were really interesting especially where he wrote in that he was "dull of hearing" -- an antique way of saying "I've spent too much time at the saw mill."

But the good news is, you can pay a little for this but you don't need it long. I exhausted all leads within a few days, maybe six hours total. There is only so much info to gather and most trails end somewhere around the census of 1830. So you just buy a short subscription, schedule yourself so you focus on it, and wrap it all up over a long weekend.

/ Geneological Research #7  
I started researching mine but quit when everything said I was most closely related to this than anything...
View attachment 332250

/ Geneological Research #8  
Periodically, Ancestry.com has a sale of sorts. Like, join for a month at a cheaper price. I did this once and found it useful. For the most part, you can trace census records back and see where everyone was during a ten-year period. You may also find other people who have done the work for you -- they created a family tree and left it open to others and you can see a lot of the branches relevant to your search. I didn't see any of the ship records or stuff like in the TV ads, but I did find my grandfather's draft cards from WWI and WWII. They were really interesting especially where he wrote in that he was "dull of hearing" -- an antique way of saying "I've spent too much time at the saw mill."

But the good news is, you can pay a little for this but you don't need it long. I exhausted all leads within a few days, maybe six hours total. There is only so much info to gather and most trails end somewhere around the census of 1830. So you just buy a short subscription, schedule yourself so you focus on it, and wrap it all up over a long weekend.

Ancestry.com will also have free weekends were you can access the system. I have found some interesting information but not enough to make me want to pay their fee. The last free weekend I saw was either Memorial Day and maybe Fourth of July.

Later,
Dan

/ Geneological Research #9  
I started researching mine but quit when everything said I was most closely related to this than anything...
View attachment 332250

My dad said his side of the family was full of horse thieves. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I assume Billy the Kidd was a horse thief and his mother's maiden name is McCarty. :shocked: Course, Billy was just on the wrong side, meaning loosing side, of a local dispute. If his side had won, he might have been an hero. :D

Later,
Dan