Gelled Fuel

/ Gelled Fuel #51  
I knew that you were talking about Power Service. The bulletin refers to fuel requirements for Cummins engines; the performance of fuel and engine are inextricably linked.

I think their point is that you need to know what you're adding to your fuel. Do you know what's in Power Service? I don't; their MSDS is so vague as to be useless. Most of these additive makers are very tight-lipped about what their magic formula consists of, lest it be known that you've just paid $4 for a quart of kerosene with a little lighter fluid added to it.

/ Gelled Fuel #52  
<font color=red>...Most of these additive makers are very tight-lipped about what their magic formula consists of, lest it be known that you've just paid $4 for a quart of kerosene with a little lighter fluid added to it...</font color=red>

Had to be in red for caution... I agree... that $32 /gallon magic potion does work... but so does 99 cent /gallon pure kerosene... {So what do you want to spend...?/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif}

A lot of guys will get that warm and fuzzy feeling all over buying these additives... those same individuals will spend upwards of $20./gallon for synthetic hydraulic fluid when an equivalent $2-4. /gallon dino hydraulic fluid will end up serving the same purpose... [that's what makes the world go 'round.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif}

I think Richard and you are both right...

Richard is only using this one product and not mixing it with "multiple" additives...

That Cummins bulletin is talking about mixing "unknown & multiple" additives that may/could/probably will chemically interact with one another and "create" a new "subtractive"... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

"You are what you eat, drink, think, say and do..."

/ Gelled Fuel
Here's the reply from Chevron...

Yes, diesel fuel can be "ungelled", and it will do so in most all cases without change in the properties. Letting the fuel warm is the only way to "ungell" it. Many big rig trucks that operate in cold climates actually have heating units that warm the tanks. It might be possible to alter some of the stability of the fuel if extreme heat was used for a prolonged period, but such extreme measures are not necessary. Moving the container (or vehicle) of "gelled" fuel to a warmer location would be a good option.

/ Gelled Fuel #55  
On my first tank, I always mix 50/50... from thereafter it's already "winterized" from the supplier...

I have friends that mix 20-30% kerosene to #2-D... and don't have any problems...

The bigger problem is usually the hydraulics when dealing in sub-zero temps... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Gelled Fuel #56  
Well Al,

How did your gelled diesel fuel experiment work out...? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Gelled Fuel #57  
John,

I turned the experiment over to mother nature and you know how fickle she can be.

I placed diesel in three 6 oz jars. One with the diesel I bought in August, one with the diesel I bought when the experiment started and one with kerosene. They are sitting in the barn waiting for the temperature to drop. Since I started I haven't needed to scrap the windshield one time in the morning/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I did notice a distinct difference in the color of the summer diesel and the winter diesel. The winter diesel was clear and the summer was kinda yellow. (kerosene was pink/red) Maybe this was age??

My initial plan was to stick them in the fridge but I got lazy. I figure as long as they don't gell it's OK to run the tractors. My comfort level went way up as a result of this thread and a better understanding when fuel gells and when it un-gells and what the heck to do about it. Thanks to you and all the others that contributed.

If it ever gets cold enough or I get motivated to stick them in the fridge I'll let you know what happens. I was most interested in what temperature it recombines and and how effective is the addition of a little kerosene. I think you posted a 50/50 mix. Thanks for the reminder, your as good as my wife in reminding me of things I said I would do/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Al

/ Gelled Fuel #58  
<font color=blue>...your as good as my wife in reminding me of things I said I would do...</font color=blue>

AAAhhhhhhh Al.......

Let's not get too carried away......... /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Gelled Fuel #59  
Hey Fellas....I'm new here. I was talking with my New Holand Dealer today about the posts on jelled fuel... He told me that if I buy it from a regular Gas Station, that there are already additives in it so it wont Jell. He said "How do yu think the trailer trucks fuel stays liquid". He also said tht if you're buying "farm" fuel then that's a different story. But he's in PA and says he never heard of it being a problem.. especially around here. I told him that lots of you guys felt differently about it.....What's the deal???? BTW.. He delivers my New TC33D tomorrow!!! Oh yeah!!!

/ Gelled Fuel #60  
Comparing the flow of diesel through a 4" unfiltered discharge hose to the flow through a filter to an injection pump is meaningless, to say the least. I would be suspicious of any further 'advice' from that person.

He's right when if he says it SHOULD be "treated." A word to the wise, though--there is straight, unblended, un-additivized #2 diesel fuel available at the pipeline in the winter, and if a station operator says "Bring me 2,000 gallons of #2," that's exactly what he'll get. Truck stops typically have straight #2 available. For trucks with heated fuel system, this is what they want--straight #2 provides better fuel economy.

It's best to know what the place you're buying from carries. Someone there (the person who orders fuel) knows; all you have to do is ask them. In my territory, I know Texaco and Amoco are very diligent in maintaining cloud point below anticipated temperatures.

Another tip: If you choose to register, I'd choose a different handle!