gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle)

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #1  

Hughman

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC33DA
Greetings. After years of lurking and learning, I am finally going to make a post.

I have a TC33DA that I bought in 2007. Other than engine oil changes, this weekend was my first attempt at changing fluids/filters with 330 hrs on the clock. I changed the hydro fluid/filters, engine oil/filter, air and fuel filters and coolant. I bought 7.5 gal of 134G which proved to be just enough for the main. I need to go back for more fluid for the front axle. I was told that a better alternative to putting hydro fluid in the front axle was to use gear oil. It sounds logical, but I'm not sure I want to experiment with my favorite toy (er... tool). Has anyone else here been given this recommendation or switched to gear oil in the front axle? Should I play it safe and just use hydro oil?

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #2  
Greetings. After years of lurking and learning, I am finally going to make a post.

I have a TC33DA that I bought in 2007. Other than engine oil changes, this weekend was my first attempt at changing fluids/filters with 330 hrs on the clock. I changed the hydro fluid/filters, engine oil/filter, air and fuel filters and coolant. I bought 7.5 gal of 134G which proved to be just enough for the main. I need to go back for more fluid for the front axle. I was told that a better alternative to putting hydro fluid in the front axle was to use gear oil. It sounds logical, but I'm not sure I want to experiment with my favorite toy (er... tool). Has anyone else here been given this recommendation or switched to gear oil in the front axle? Should I play it safe and just use hydro oil?

Use what is recommended in the owners manual. Mine says to use 134G. As a matter of fact I just changed mine several weeks ago. I would suspect the clearances are tighter and thicker oil might actually harm the gears, bushings and bearings.

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #3  
Sweep is correct. The reason a manufacturer specifies a type of lubricant and/ or a weight is because the the tolerances and operating conditions call for it to give the proper performance and longevity to the equipment involved. Do yourself and your equipment a favor and use the factory recommended lubricant.:thumbsup:

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #4  
my ex1920 specified UTF fluid for the front axle. IMHO.. most fords of this era use the 134 fluid in just about all the sumps except brakes and engine/radiator..e tc.

soundguy

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle)
Sounds like the best idea is to stick with the 134g. I was leaning that way already, but it's hard to argure with the expert behind the service counter when you don't know any better.

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #6  
expert.. :)

the 'experts' at my cnh parts counter can't do anything unless you bring them a part number and exploded diagram... :) even then they still need hand holding...

soundguy

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #7  
Yes, there are experts and then there are "experts". LOL.
If in doubt, it's always best to follow the Factory suggestions.

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #8  
Sounds like the best idea is to stick with the 134g. I was leaning that way already, but it's hard to argure with the expert behind the service counter when you don't know any better.

Counter guy's Junior needs braces in 6 months about the same time you front end goes out due to wrong gear lube. Those counter guys plan ahead.:)

Last edited:
   / gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #9  
Owners Manual for my 1700 said to use 90W gear oil. When my dealer repaired my front axle they used 134 fluid. They said New Holland had changed the spec to 134 spec after the manual was printed. I changed oil and replaced with 134 oil. No problems after 300 hrs (fingers crossed)

/ gear oil vs hydro fluid (front axle) #10  
cnh did that on most applications.

original spec for the hyds, tranny, and diffy on a 9n was a 90w mineral gear oil.. now they sell ya 134 for it.. etc..

soundguy